Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2015 * PIctographs < Previous Next >

Link to this message

trailbill

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 4, 2015 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm the guy who maintained the Obabika Old Growth Trails for 16 years until the Park took them over. I'm placing this here to get the attention of fellow canoeists. In the past a break on a trip to look at pictographs (native paintings on rocks) was an enjoyment.
I've spent 20 weeks in the last 2 summers documenting pictographs in Temagami and other areas of north-east Ontario: location, measurements, sketching, photographing, researching the area around the sites, enhancing photos.
I have been working with a PHD student doing her thesis on pictographs in the Temagami area.
Pictographs are usually shades of red from brownish-red to maroon depending on the rock, they are on, almost always drawn finger-width with ochre (paint) on a finger. Most are on vertical rock surfaces but others are in unusual places. Most are on canoe routes but others are in more private or sacred locations. Most are just above water level but others are higher or underwater due to dams. Some are bright and others are so faint you can't see them in direct sunlight.
Symbols may represent animals, birds, humans, hands, canoes, crosses, mythical creatures like thunderbirds or snakes or abstract figures or groups of lines or dots or paint smears.
We can only speculate how old they are, or the real meaning of symbols or groups of symbols.
You can find many of the pictographs on the Ottertooth maps or the Friends of Temagami map.
If you have any questions about pictographs or petroglyphs (native rock carvings) of which there are few in this area please ask them on this forum site. I don't know everything but I have seen most documented in North-east Ontario and a number of undocumented. I will be slower from mid June to Labor Day.
I am looking for new sites to document this summer and next. If you have seen any in the Temagami area or north-east Ontario please e-mail me at wndrer@sympatico.ca. Please send the exact or approximate location, location height, symbols seen, whether bright or faint, any kind of picture, etc. I'll try to document all new sites. We want to keep this information confidential because we won't release it until we get the permission of the local native band. Some are still being used as private ceremonial sites. If it is a new site I'll send back an enhanced photo of your site where you may see more than you could with the naked eye, and any details or thoughts about the significance of the site. If it gets on government record we'll try to get your name as the discoverer.
 Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have you had many new sites? There may be one nearby.

Pls message...
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1705

Posted on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

trailbill is probably out paddling so expect a delayed response.
 Link to this message

trailbill

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Red Pine
Started June 10 in Temagami; have looked at sites as far west as Dryden. Many great sites all over.
Probably easier to get me on my e-mail wndrer@sympatico.ca
Have discovered some new sites all over; even some on major canoe routes that no-one seems to know about; I just sometimes look harder and longer; doing this for 26 weeks so far in the last 3 summers also helps.
In Temagami area have recorded a number of new sites with the help of Brian Back and others, researching, and looking hard.
If you can tell me an approximate location I'll let you know if we have something new there.

Trailbill
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Quick question- do you know of any sites along the Temagami River (no I don't know of any but I am going there). Not asking for locations.
 Link to this message

trailbill

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 2:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Don't know of any on the river. The closest are on the east shore of Portage Bay. The two north ones are just a small sideways "T" symbol and one of the most difficult to see with the eye. The south ones are a km north of the portage out of the south end of the bay, marked on the Friends of Temagami map. A bold thunderbird with two other symbols, just 50 metres north of that a number of lines on different faces of an alcove
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 1:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks trailbill, i'll look for those!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home