Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Sturgeon River - type of canoe? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tharman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are tripping on the Sturgeon River in August from Scarecrow to Obabika River to Lake Temagami. Is this trip better suited for a kevlar canoe or a royalex canoe. Will there be much whitewater to play in?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 175

Posted on Wednesday, April 1, 2009 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

August will be low water conditions and as a result many of the rapids and swifts will be un- passable or canoe hull grinders.

Your decision could be based on how much grinding you want to do.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 102

Posted on Wednesday, April 1, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did most of this section in a kevlar in August and you do get some scrapes but it's better than lugging 80 lbs of ABS around!

(Message edited by otter_mel on April 1, 2009)
 Link to this message

tharman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 6, 2009 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info. I think we will take Kevlar canoes
 Link to this message

brassica

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was e-mailing back and forth with the Finlayson super, and he commented that the water levels on the Sturgeon were 'high' when he visited them around the beginning of July.
If anyone has direct knowledge of the level of the Sturgeon this year, or can infer what it might be from the levels of other waters or the weather, I'd like to hear about it.
More importantly, if anyone knows or can guess if many of the rapids which Hap indicates usually need to be tracked at this time of year are runnable, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home