Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Relatively easy Temagami 4 day < Previous Next >

Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Almost 20 years ago I went on a few trips with University buddies. We did a loop from Sandy Inlet, Sharp rock, Diamond, Lady Evelyn, Maple Mountain and back. I am now planning to get back into tripping, but this time with my 9 year old son and wife. It needs to be a relatively easy trip as my wife is very inexperienced (at canoe tripping). I am thinking of just putting in at Sandy inlet exploring parts of Lake Temagami I've never been to. Is Kokoko lake nice? Is there a trail up Devil's Mountain? Any other sites you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input. And Thanks for the great website. The maps have been a great help.

Stephan
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Myabe put in at Temagami or the end of the 20km long road and do the Bear Island hikes?

I recently read a Blueberry Lake TR, not sure what the portaging is like.

Minor worry about the big water & inexperienced paddlers. If it's an August trip, at least the water will be warmer if you dump.
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks preacher.
Looking at the possibilities if we go in on the mine road; then we could reach Kokoko from the south and it would be an even shorter portage in. Is the mine road better, worse or comparable to Red Squirrel Road? I was only thinking of using Red Squirrel due to it's proximity to Smoothwater Outfitters since that's where we were planning on spending the night and renting the canoe from.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I find the north end of the lake that you mentioned a lot more scenic and remote. There is a trail up Devil's mountain, with one difficult cliff section that can be fun for adventurous kids. Kokoko Lake is very nice with large campsites (one of the islands burned unfortunately). Easy portage in, and a shorted one into Kokoko Bay at the other end back to K. Bay on Lake Temagami. Depending on wind you could travel back up the North Arm on Lake Temagami to Sandy Inlet. This is very doable in 4 days for novices although there will be long stretches of paddling.
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Andrew. That's more like what I'm hoping to do. Where would the beginning of the trail up Devil's mountain be? We could put in at Sandy Inlet and make it to Kokoko Lake first day. Mybe spend a the second day fishing Kokoko and hiking up the mountain. Third day, head up the North arm to Whitfish bay. There's a little pond off Whitefish bay that we used to fish for pike. Not monsters but endless action. Could camp at the upper narrows or Pickerel point the third night and head back to Sandy Inlet the fourth day. Would prefer to avoid Napoleon's portage if possible, I don't think my wife would find it much fun if I remember it correctly.

Does this sound reasonable considering our level of experience?

Stephan
 Link to this message

dan_carpenter

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The trail up Devil's Mtn leaves from the "Angus Point" campsite on the south side of the bay leading into the portage into KoKoKo Lake. It basically starts from the back of the campsite.

The Pickerel Bay portage from the North Arm to Ferguson Bay is a relatively easier alternative to the Napoleon Portage to the north.

Details on the appropriate map sections of the "Lake Temagami Atlas" elsewhere on this site.
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_atlas. htm
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 103

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also,
Don't forget to look at large white pines on the portage from Temagami to Kokoko
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the details Dan. I hope my wife and son find this area as unforgetable and special as I did many years ago. Still not sure when this summer we will go. As a teacher, I can take off whenever, but have to still see when my wife can get away from her work. Would there be a better time to go as far as avoiding major bug/blackfly seasons? We used to go mid August and I don't recall ever being bothered by bugs.

Stephan
 Link to this message

schivers

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A nice surprise treat and break from paddling for your wife and son will be to buy them to a pop and chocolate bar at the Ojibway store - north end of island #1147 (Keewaydin camp for boys and girls is at the south end).
Ojibway welcomes paddlers and all lake travelers to visit - sit on their dock and enjoy a cold drink and snack. They have also had the pleasure of warming up paddlers by our fireplace in the main lodge, with a cup of hot chocolate or tea.
The store is open 7 days a week, from about 8:45 am til 8:00 or
so at night. During meal hours it's closed but someone is always around to open it!
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That would be alright with me schivers, and it wouldn't be out of our way at all.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home