Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Thoughts on this route? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there, I am planning and plotting a rather large route through Temagami and I'd love to hear (read) some feedback. I have done some exhaustive searches here (including archives - which was kinda painful), CCR and Solotripping.com No one had done the exact route, but I did manage to find descriptions of some sections of the route. And I have and read Hap's Map and corresponding Map Book. But I'd like more (if I can).

The route:

Mowat Put In
Mandelssohn
Tupper (checking out Maple Mtn
Lady Evelyn
Diamond
Wakimika
Obabika Lake and River
Lower Sturgeon River
Wawiashkashi
Manitue
Gull
Temagami
either straight up to Ferguson Bay, (OR Wasaksina-Iceland-Lowell-Rabbit-Cassels-Kanichi)
Red Squirrel
Anima Nipissinig
and the Montreal River back to Mowat Landing.

I figure 10days, but I have up to 14 to do it.

About me for reference.... I am 39, overweight, but quite fit, and like a mule in terms of pressing on and on. So I usually cover a lot of distance. I am novice to intermediate in WW, and intermediate to expert in everything else tripping. So far it's solo. I have a Swift Raven in Rx. Using a double blade- damn fast (lol) Hopefully only double portaging (boat then gear). And it'll be in the last two weeks of June.

I'd appreciate anything you experts can tell me about all or portions of this route.

Specifics that I have so far (more to come I am sure) are: Do I have enough time? Recommended stops, side trips? Direction, some rivers I'll be going against the current, does that matter? How would YOU break up the trip, in other words where would YOU stop to camp? Going north on Temagami preferred than to cross the HWY at Lowell? Does Mowat charge for parking? Can I get the permits at Mowat?

Well, I know there's a lot here, but any thoughts on this route would be highly appreciated. Even course adjustments are welcomed. Or any reality checks also, as I am experienced enough to know, that I don't know it all ;)

This is just a proposed route, so changes are inevitable, and subject to any advice you guys give me.

I'd even consider a partner, but I'd insist on solo boats, your own tent and gear and we'd have to see if we're compatible tripping partners. I wouldn't want to have to kill you lol :-)

Thanks for allowing me to tap in to your collective wealth of knowledge.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 354

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In my opinion this looks like a great trip. I think you will need all 14 days to do the trip though. You could get wind bound on any lake but Lady Evelyn, Diamond, Obabika and Lake Temagami are the bad ones for wind bounding canoeist. I have been on all of them in rough water and calm and have been wind bound on all of them. Be careful. In my opinion you will also be putting in many 12hr days with 40 to 50 km days. So I hope you are in good shape.

Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on April 26, 2009)
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 177

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Big trip Swift, I estimate 280 plus kilometres easy.
That is as proposed, no Iceland Lake side extension.
So - solo paddled and portaged, you had better be "like a mule in terms of pressing on and on"

Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 73

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think it's a great trip plan,
but I suspect once you're out of Gull and back onto Temagami, the prospect of the Wasaksina - Iceland - Rabbit - Kanichee side trip won't look so appealing.
That side trip alone would add on several days travel, and to travel from Kanichee to Red Squirrel up the Jackpine Creek is a tough slog - a great trip on it's own, but after 10 long days of paddling, this option might be a little on the aggressive side.

Good for you for planning such an adventurous trip though... I miss those 'marathon' trips we used to do. Now, it seems I'm getting soft in my old age... :-)
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Don't underestimate the route from Mendohlson to Tupper. The portage into Skull is deadly, mostly uphill and 2400m, I counted about 30 windfalls a few years ago and a few sections of muskeg in the middle. This is by far one of the hardest carries in the region. The day south of Skull I think we did 8 portages in one day. Not so bad if you're solo tripping but with a group with all the unloading/loading it was a long day.

Have you considered heading up the LE River to Banks Lake and then down the Makobe River? That would keep you in the more remote areas for the majority of your trip and could give you a little more cushion in terms of time, but not much:-)

Have a blast!

Great area though
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"280 km's" eh? So maybe too ambitious?

I always side on caution, but I always seems to go faster/farther than planned. But I think given what I've read, I will pear it down a bit. Maybe scratch out the Mandollsohn bit, and start and finish at Mowat.

The Makobe suggestion is appealing, but I am hoping to "cover" as much of the park as I can - to expose myself to as much of Temagami as possible in one shot.

micmac, what about the Thieving Bear (a great name BTW) route to Anima Nipissing? Any better?

Thanks again for the suggestions, and your "thoughts".

Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

BTW is there no PM options here at Ottertooth?
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

On your way back, I would avoid Anima Nip as it is cluttered with cottages and powerboats, and take a beautiful detour through the Muskego. If you search "wow trip" you'll see my trip report through the area.

Another option that our group took advantage of to cover a greater amount of the park, is to fly in/ paddle back. Lakeland airways offers quite reasonable flights anywhere in the area.

Simon
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the "heads up" (re: Anima Nip).

As for flying in, not an option, just don't have that kind of coin. Even shuttling would be a bit pricey, so a loop is my ideal.

Thanks

Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Swift

If You Consider the Makobe Option... Let Me Know... I Grew Up On That River...

Sundown
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, May 2, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sundown, I think I have settled on leaving from Mowat through L.E., down the Obabika RIver to Sturgeon River, up through to Gull, to Wasaksina and.... well this is where I am stalled.

Considering and reconsidering, how to get back to Mowat Landing. Either through Anima Nipissing or..........

But I am pretty sure I won't going up the Makobe way?? Maybe ANOTHER time?

Thanks again. ANd I hope the suggestions keep coming:-)
 Link to this message

bilhenry

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Swift,
What is your objective for this trip - pain or pleasure? Doesn't sound like you are planning for any windbound/weatherbound days. Lots of shorter options exist for you to do some loops and end up back at Mowat. My philosophy, though not shared by all: "Less is more." Less distance covered in your 10-14 days can translate to more layovers with day trips and more time enjoying why you are out there.
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 7:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Objective"? Hmm... "BOTH"!!

I love tripping. It's all I think about. No, seriously, others will "say" it, but it's true, it's all I think about. It puts me to sleep at night (or sometimes keeps me up too late at night).

But I am also looking for a trip to shed some pounds. No junk food, no over eating, just some good exercise.

So, "pain" and "pleasure" is my objective.

I should add without trying to pat myself on the back or sounding macho-cool.. but ever since I switched to a double blade I always seem to go faster and farther than most. I do "5 day trips" in 3 and sometimes even 2 days. Faster if it's buggy, no time to hang around.

But I certainly like my leisure time and leisure paddle too. I wake up late, and usually leave by 10 or even 11 (1130AM). But then I paddle until dusk.

Wow, long winded answer. But I am trying to paint my portrait here for ya to help with any advice you can give me.

In the route planned, (as you have noticed) I have many options for an "out" (in case of emergency) and a "change up" (or 2) if need be. So if I am truly wind bound, or not going as far and fast as planned, then I can make some significant changes on the way. I just better make sure my maps and GPS are all accounted for any changes, eh?

ANd in this trip I am hoping to "sight see" more. With stops at Maple Mountain, the Old Growth on Obabika etc. But June can be sooo bad for bugs, so who knows???

I will re-evaluate my itinerary (probably several times before the trip) to account for difficult portages, sight seeing, wind and days where it's too painful to go on ;) and according to any advice I continue to get here.

Thanks again (sorry for the overly long and self indulgent response).
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 416
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Swifter... (Pen Name, Self Chosen, Intending Respect)

A Very Long Time Ago... Longer By the Friggin' Second, I Reckon...
A Maori Chief (of Few Words) Tana Ngkuri
Taught Me That Anyone Can Say Pretty-Much-Nothing
If They Just Keep On Babblin' Long Enough...

Personally, Swifter... I Like Your Style.

Why You (or I) Go to The Bush... Is Nobodies Dang Bizz But Yers...

And, Swifter, What Anyone Thinks Of You (Or I) Is None of OUR Damn Business... (Ottermel Quote)

(Hillbilly's Extra 'N' Shinin' Thru Fer Propriety... Included)

Wee Smile (Luv ya Bill)
Back-ta-Topic...

Swifter

My Maori Chief Said this:

"... Things Worthwhile Are Very Seldom Easy..."

If They Were, Swifter... Reckon Everyone Would Be Doin' them, Right?

Paddle Yer Own Cadence... I'll Have Yer Six

Sundown

(Message edited by sundown on May 15, 2009)

Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 39

Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

When people try to help you with choosing or refining a route, it helps them immensely to know if you are interested in pounding out mileage, paddling from sunrise to sunset, or more into it for the leisurely fishing/photography/exploration....or somewhere in between.

Without some basis of reference, folks can end up shooting a lot of breeze, and missing the poster's target altogether. If you're looking for apples, and everyone points you in the direction of oranges, it's not much help at all, is it?

So, yes, it is indeed others' business, when you come onto a message board and ask for their advice and assistance, to inquire as to what kind of experience you are looking to have.

It's not that they are seeking a justification from you....which of course was not implied at all.

Barbara

Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beaver Lady

"... Cool... Succinct... Gleam In My Eye..."

Darlin'... Would You Please Define "IT" Fermee?..."

When You Plucked My Words... Chose "IT"...

What Precisely Did Ya Mean, Darlin'...

Cause, As I Said...

"It Ain't Nobodies Bizz..."

If You Disagree... Say So, Darlin'

Personally, As I Expressed, It Ain't.

Lemme Know, Kay?

Sundown
 Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wrote my opinion in pretty plain English, Larry.

I'm ever mindful of the clarity of communication on forums.

You can make it out to be more than it is, if you like.

Barbara
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well 3 day s to go. I am pretty much packed, and ready, just a couple of small odds and ends to get (and some stuff to get done around the house) first...

Due to time constraints, commitments, and of course family I have pared and whittled my route down to the following (for those interested, or who could still give some advice or comments).

Depart Mowat Landing (Lady Evelyn)
night 1 Obisaga Narrows (Lady Evelyn)
night 2 Tupper Lake (climb Maple Mountain that evening)
night 3 Lady Evelyn Narrows/Dimond Lake (I think there's supposed to be pictographs here)
night 4 Obabika/Bob Lake (check out the old growth at this time)
night 5 Obabika River
night 6 Sturgeon River/Wawiaskshi Lake
night 7 Gull Lake
night 8 Kokoko Lake
night 9 Diamond Lake
night10 Lady Evelyn Lake
Return Mowat Landing/Home

With a second night when and wherever I need/want it (maybe like somewhere in the middle at Obabika Lake, or if wind bound on Lady Evelyn.

I have also reserved a SPOT unit with the Temagami Outfitters for $60 bucks. Thought that was pretty reasonable.

Anyway, just have a few more errands to get done before I go (not 'til Saturday anyway), so I'll be back to check for anymore thoughts or comments on this route.

Thanks again, wish me luck, as it's a first for me of this kind. Never been solo for this long, in fact never been quite this long tandem tripping either.

(Message edited by SWIFT on June 11, 2009)
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Best of luck Swift. Just a couple thoughts.

I'm not sure there's good camping on Tupper. You might want to grab a site on Hobart before heading into Tupper.

The day down the Sturgeon is very long and monotonous. Pay close attention to where you are on the map as some of the meanders on the topmap are gone (turned into oxbow lakes, there's at least one I remember). You don't want to miss the portage into Wawiashkashi. It takes out in a small bay/cove and should be flagged.

There's one night site on Wawiashkashi half way up on a point on the eastern side. After this I dont think there are great camping spots until Gull Lake. Manitou is busy as it is road access, I'm not sure of any on Turtle Shell, but I have set up a tent on the porch of one of the private cabins there. There's a great site on Gull on a small island in the narrows. It's only a 1-2km out of the way and offers great views of the cliffs. The cliffs are also easily climbable for a nice view if you have time.

have fun.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Swift

I like the campsite on the south side of the Obisaga Narrows, about halfway through... its easily reachable from Mowat even with a late start.

Enjoy.

Sundown
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 373

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

andrewh
I have to agree. There is only one camp site and if it is taken you have to paddle back to Hobart, so take a sit on Hobart and then start to Maple from there. Also I agree About the portage into Wawiashkashi.
Have a Great Time and we want pics. I have not been through that area for 20 years and would like to see pics and see what it looks like now.

Bill

Bill
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 22

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ok thanks for that input. I'll let you guys how how it all went when I get back.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home