Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Kayak Trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gary

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Was wondering if anyone has an idea for a kayak route with very little portaging.I don't find yaks portage well,plus I'm feeling a little older this spring.My wife and I have paddled Lake Temagami to Mowat's Landing and numerous shorter trips into the Cross lake area.So we are looking for some new areas to explore this year.Could be anything from 3-14 days in duration.Don't mind suffering(a bit)to get off the beaten path.Not looking for rapids. Thanks for any suggestions.Ottertooth thanks for this great website!
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 355

Posted on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Maple Mountain trip is a good one. Only one portage at the damn. If you do not wat to you can pay to have your equipment portaged around the damn, 270 mt. Paddle Lady Evelyn Lake and do the Maple Mountain hike. 4 to 5 days trip.

Bill
 Link to this message

gary

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 8, 2009 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bill,We were thinking of going middle of June when the bugs are bad and the traffic isn't.Would it be really busy with fisherman at this time?I know this is out of temagami but I was also wondering about Rabbit lake and up around Gowganda. Thanks Gary
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 415
Posted on Friday, May 8, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gary

From Gowganda You Could Do Gowganda to Matachewan via Either the East Montreal or the West Montreal... With a Sidetrip to the Head of Lake Matachewan to View the Anishnabe Heiroglyphs.

Either Route has One Necessary Portage at Major Falls (of short distance), and several wadeable sets of rapids... but, nothing too serious.

For "Pure Flatwater" Kayaking, There Are a Wealth of Opportunities Just West of Gowganda at Shining Tree.

Sundown
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gary...

You could also do the Sandy Inlet, Temagami, Diamond, Wakimaka, Obabika, Tamagima, Sandy Inlet route. Our 4-person group did this in 12 days with a couple of days of layover fishing, exploring and easy paddling. Check out the old logging camp on Diamond's west end across from the escar... and oh, by the way, you are camping on ROCKS 20' above the water on a peninsula! at that point. Different lakes~ sandy bottoms, rock bottoms, shallow, deep~~~ Great route!

p.s. Hillbilly ~ there is no 'n' in dam! Blessings
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 358

Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

p.s. Hillbilly ~ there is no 'n' in dam! Blessings

Trying to pass ottertooth rules.

Bill
 Link to this message

gary

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well after looking at everyone's great suggestions we decided on hillbillys' route with a slight modifaction.What do you folks think of heading south into Willow Island lake?How are the campsites?Dumb question really as we've had nothing but spectacular campsites on previous trips.I see in Haps' book in the south east bay of willow island lake there is a series of small portages back into Diamond.Does anyone have an idea what shape they would be in? Sundown we are going to do that Gowganda route at some point.Gudwulf your trip sounds great also just a little to much portaging for me.Thanks everyone!Gary
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 360

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

2 years ago I went from Diamond to Lady Evelyn to Willow Island and the portages were OK.

Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1053

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The discussion of the 3 portages between Willow Island and Diamond lakes has come up before and someone is always confusing them with the 2 portages between Willow Island and Lady Evelyn lakes.

The 3-portage route is not well used and the portages show it. The 2-portage route is heavily used and straightforward. The latter has a lot less walking.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gary... I am now 59... the portages I would do again... the toughest ~ the putout at the west end of Diamond where you have to step over HUGE rocks and then carry up and over a hill. But if you can endure this little obstical, the rest is a piece of cake. The rest are easy carries.........
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1054

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

gudwulf, the last two messages were referring to a set of portages out of SE Willow Island, one of which would go to the north end of Diamond. Not sure which portages you are talking about at the west end of Diamond. Maybe the route into Pencil and Wakimika? I add this just so no one less familiar with the area gets confused.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian... thanks for the clarification. You are, indeed, correct as always.
 Link to this message

gary

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 7:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for all your wisdom folks.We decided we will paddle into Willow Island lake and around that area and maybe take the portage route back into Lady Evelyn.We have lots of time,so we will do a bit of lilydipping and exploring.So if you see a couple of kayakers out there,come over and say hello.Hope everyone has a great summer!Not like last weekend where we paddled inbetween snowstorms.Thanks again Gary

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home