Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Smoothwater - Sturgeon R. to Sturgeon Falls < Previous Next >

Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everybody,

Could someone ballpark a time guesstimate for this trip? This would include a day on Scarecrow and a hike up Ishpatina.

I would be solo, minimum of doubling all ports, probably tripling. likely travelling late summer or early autumn. Boat is a royalex Supernova and consider myself a decent intermediate on flat & moving water.

I'm thinking 8-10 days depending on how ambitious I get.

Thanks,

Scott
 Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Bill,

Your assumptions are correct regarding the route. I know the creeks could be pretty bony that time of year, Stull in particular. With any luck it will be another high water year.

Scott
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 366

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I posted this last night and it got messed up, I think that was when the cat came and jumped on my key board. So I fixed it and posted it again. Maybe now the webmaster will delete the old post and leave this one.

Actually I presume you are starting from the Montreal River, Lady Dufferin then Smoothwater, down to Apex, Whitemud, McCulloch, Mihell, Scarecrow Lake and Scarecrow River, Woods, Hamlow and then the Sturgeon. Depends on what time of year it is. When you are planning the water will be low. Many portages and lining and walking down the creek past Apex and south of Miheil do the portage unless it is very high water. Have fun but I do not recommend that time of year for this trip, vert low water, May & June is better. But then again I am not an expert for that area, I have only been there twice.
Sounds Good to me.

Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on May 28, 2009)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 632

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hillbilly's earlier post deleted by moderator.
Gotta watch those cats Hillbilly.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 367

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

One 5 lb. cat and one 110 lb. dog in the house. The cat is the one that causes the most trouble.
Thanks Ed.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home