Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Reuben to Louise Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

modus

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning a trip on the east side of 11 in September and am curious about the lakes in the immediate area of Reuben. Specifically, I'm looking for any knowledge or insight other posters may have on the possibility of camping on the lakes between Reuben and Louise. Is there a place to camp on Louise, Breeze, Black or Paul Lakes? Or would it be better to take in these lakes as a day-trip from a base camp on Reuben Lake?

I've searched the archives, and have come across some details regarding the route itself, but have found little in the way regarding campsites (I suspect this may indicate that there are none...)

Any other wisdom that anyone could share on the Reuben Lake area (campsite suggestions? hikes? sights?) would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 633

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Modus:
I think the expert on this route is Curly who re-opened it up a few years ago and posted it on the Nastawgan Network. However that database no longer seems to be available after it morphed into the Friends of Temagami.

I will email Curly to see if he can help you.It may take a few days fro him to respond as he sometimes works shifts.
Ed.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 172

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Modus,
No campsites between Reuben and the Twin Lakes. You could maybe camp on a nice ridge between Louise and Breeze, think open red pine forest. I bushed a night on the island in Black, but wouldn't recommend it. I've been meaning to go through there again and fix the situation. Maybe this summer.

Nice hikes include the lookouts on Reuben, Paul, and Louise. There are no trails there, just bushcrashes.

Have fun!
 Link to this message

modus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is exactly the information that I was looking for. Thank you Curly!

I would certainly be interested to hear if you get to the work 'to fix the situation' during the summer. And if not, perhaps our crew (we will be four guys) could lend a hand at this in September? Just a thought...

Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

curly, how updated is that map?

also, that campsite on the point in the reserve is wrong..those are cottages..the campsite is on the point north of that one

(Message edited by dave on May 31, 2009)
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 173

Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, June 1, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

was the block around paul and reuben not reduced? or am i imagining things?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 174

Posted on Monday, June 1, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The block was not reduced, per se, but the area depicted was not completely cut. This is normal. The brown area on the map depicts the maximum area available for harvest. Negotiations with the Nastawgan Network and Friends of Temagami were able to protect the integrity of the portages and eliminate some small areas of harvest (NE of the Paul-Black portage, for instance).
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

oooh ok..i remember hearing that they cut too close to rabbit and that they had to move back and reduce the cut...so i was curious about that

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home