Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * Ishpatina Ridge solo trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Solo trip report with photos - didn't exactly turn out the way it was planned, but any trip is always a good trip 8)

http://www.canoedog.ca/2015/06/back-from-ishpatina -ridge-area-of.html

Cheers.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1694

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 8:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the report and photos. All the best in your new home.
 Link to this message

canoeguitar

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice work, and an "A" for effort. I was also out on an early May solo - Matagamasi up to Stouffer & back. Started out shirtless and in sunglasses (May 3rd) - and ended up fully bundled with toque and gloves later in the trip.

Well I know you'll certainly be missing Temagami and the shield country. I did when I lived out west years ago. BC has it's fair share of beautiful spots though, so you'll soon be tapping into that. Maybe another Solstice GT is in your future??

If you're really jones'n for some tranquil "Ontario-esque" canoeing, the Main Lake Chain on Quadra Island is a nice little spot, especially in the shoulder season. I did my first solo there in April of 1995..? and remember it fondly. Not a sprawling area like Temagami, but for a little getaway, the feeling is there.

All the best out there in BC, though I know you'll be back paddling in northern Ontario before too long. According to Google Maps, the drive from Vancouver to Red Lake Ontario is only 28 hours - that's only 2 hours longer than it is from my place in Waterloo! WCPP is practically in your backyard ;-).

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 2:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yep, nice photos. Noticed your last name- any chance your father was a teacher of History and Classics in the 1970's?
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 6:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Mike, certainly a different landscape in my future and I can see a kayak and a new backpack for hiking as well. Have friends on Quadra and will definitely check out your suggestion.

grncnu - sorry not my dad.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home