Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * West Montreal River Route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mike_h

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 6, 2015 - 8:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Four of us are hoping to do the loop starting at Wapus Creek ending in Gowganda in September. We found one route description (2013) but are interested in anyone's experience regarding portages, campsites, fishing and the route in general.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 484

Posted on Thursday, July 9, 2015 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there. I'm familiar with parts of this area. Can you provide more detail about your route? Where on Wapus Creek are you starting? What lakes and rivers are you going through to get to Gowganda?
 Link to this message

mike_h

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 9, 2015 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great, We are starting west of Gowganda at the junction of 560 and Wapus Creek. Heading north to Rankin via Penassi. Then north through Mistinikon Lake past Bell to the dam. South on the Montreal through Matechawan to Sisseny Lake. Then down the Montreal to Obushkong Lake and down to Gowganda. Hope to do it in 6 nights. Wondering about campsites between Rankin and the Dam, and between Sisseny and Obushkong. Considering shortening the trip by going from Rankin to Duncan, but we're not sure if the portage exists between them and what the campsites are like on Duncan.
Anything you can offer us is appreciated. Thanks
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 485

Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Mike

I'm not familiar with the northern part of that loop (e.g. Wapus to Matachewan to Gowganda). I'm more familiar with the southern part, Smoothwater Lake to Gowganda Lake, as well as Gowganda Lake to the West Montreal River via Elkhart, Lett and Firth Lakes. If I was doing your route, I would start with the description in Hap Wilson's books. I believe Kevin Callan had a chapter on that area in one of his books as well.
 Link to this message

mike_h

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 7:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks
Our only report (Mister Canoehead 2013) suggests both Hap and Kevin's info is dated and currently inaccurate. But we are still looking for someone who has been on this route more recently.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home