Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * Bear baiting in early August < Previous Next >

Link to this message

markomrko

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 9, 2015 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone,

I'm from London, ON - visited Temagami for the first time on a solo trip in May - I've been reading this forum for several months now, and it's has been a great resource.

Planning to go up to Chiniguchi area with the family for a week-long trip (boys are 3, 5 and 8 and we do lots of backcountry travel).

Is backcountry camping just prior and during the first week of the bear hunt an issue (we're planning a trip from Monday-Monday Aug 10-17)?

Thanks!!
Marko
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1703

Posted on Thursday, July 9, 2015 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wish I could tell you it wasn't an issue, but a lodge owner puts baits near at least two portages on Matagamasi. In spite of a long history of doing this, I have not heard of any issues. He does feed the bears good food and lots of it, so that may explain it.
 Link to this message

markomrko

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, that is helpful to know
Marko
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Interesting! My husband and I are thinking of doing the east arm, Karl's Falls area, starting around the 20th. We like to find a good campsite and stay put for a while, and just go canoe-oodeling each day... Can you let us know what it was like up there?
 Link to this message

markomrko

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

Just got back yesterday went to Wolf Lake and base camped there. Although there was a bit of rain, the days were quite lovely and there was one clear night. No bugs at all interestingly. No bears either.

The Perseid meteor shower was in full effect, and faint Aurora made an appearance (there is a meteor streaking through the Aurora in the pic above). This is from the west campsite, looking north. The pic looks much better at a file size greater than 100kb.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Marko
 Link to this message

walknabout

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

awesome shot Marko!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home