Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * Maskinonge Access Point < Previous Next >

Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, August 21, 2015 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is there public access to Maskinonge Lake or Carafel Creek where the road meets the creek (near the Rolly Jonas' Lodge)?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1316

Posted on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

As far as I know you need to access it through Rolly Jonas Lodge.

Go here: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini8.ht m

and here:http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini3.ht m

If you look at Google Earth it would appear that the road does cross the Creek, but there is no bridge there anymore.You might be able to park by the side of the road and portage to the bridge.

You might also use the Ottertooth Search function to see if there are recent posts on Carafel Creek that would provide more insight.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1715

Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A few years ago you could park within 200 metres of the creek, but the road was deteriorating then.
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 30

Posted on Tuesday, September 1, 2015 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This past weekend I completed a solo trip through the Maskinonge/Donald/Kukigami/Carafel area. This is a very beautiful area. Officially one of my new favorites.

The price to park at the Rolly Jonas' lodge has gone up to $8 per day. They are OK with just showing up day of...no reservations necessary. The road to the camp is quite good. The worst section is the driveway to the lodge.

The road to Carafel creek is impassable from about 800m or so to the bridge. The ministry has dug huge burms to keep the ATVs out. The burms and the road closed signs are not working and they are crossing Carafel creek in the creek itself.

Link to this message

richtheo

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, September 1, 2015 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

zed, would you recommend that route by kayak?
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, September 2, 2015 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't have any experience with kayaks in the backcountry. That being said most of the portages in the area are relatively easy and short.
I think that route would be fine for kayaking.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home