Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * Twinkle Lake access < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1716

Posted on Tuesday, September 1, 2015 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was just on the road to Twinkle Lake:

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland01b.h tm

As has been noted on various threads over the past few years, the road is deteriorating. It is dramatic beyond the Obabika bridge. It is still an ATV road (and lots of that) beyond that point, but unless you are experienced with backroads and have a good vehicle, I would not recommend road-vehicle travel past that bridge.

You will come to a dangerous sink hole, probably the one dion_g describes in another thread, on the bank of the Obabika. It is a one-way plunge if it collapses under a vehicle.

And that is just the beginning of the challenges...
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 71

Posted on Tuesday, September 1, 2015 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, I understood that the "dion_g hole" is not on the Obabika, but at the Yorston bridge turnoff, which is slightly further traveling north. One hole or two, I won't drive there again, not in my car.
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 8, 2015 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was there september 22nd. I Crossed the Obabika then turned back about 2km past the bridge as the road has gotten a little rought and grown in. It's still passable but I was getting tired of the dirty looks I got from the hunters and their ATV's when they meet up with me taking up the whole road lol
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, October 8, 2015 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, I seen no sing of construction for the new road to Bull... I thought for sure they would use this road as an access?? any more information on this road?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1721

Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 8:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

They will use this road. However, they are trying to undue the previous decision on the rejection of the bridge over the Sturgeon, so may be delaying work in the hope of getting it as an alternate to coming in on this road.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is there a public campaign to join against such an attempt, to build a Sturgeon bridge? FOT?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1723

Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would check with FOT.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 486

Posted on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This issue was discussed at the FOT AGM this past Saturday in Temagami. The idea of a new bridge through the Sturgeon River Provincial Park, in violation of the 2007 Park Management Plan, has been proposed twice before. We have supported the existing Park Plan both times, and both times the bridge proposal was denied by Ontario Parks. We are aware that the bridge proposal is being revived by Vermillion Forest Management again. Our understanding is that a new crossing would require an amendment to both the Crown Land Use Policy Atlas as well as the Park Management Plan, both of which would require public consultation. As of today, there is no public consultation and thus no proposal to comment on. However, it is likely that a public consultation could begin before the end of the year.

FOT remains in support of the 2007 Park Management Plan, which was approved after extensive consultation with industry and the public. The Park Plan does not permit a new crossing of the Sturgeon River Provincial Park. If there is a public consultation, we will be there to defend the Park Plan as it stands.

As the President of FOT, I encourage everyone who has an interest in this matter to stay tuned. If the bridge proposal comes to a public consultation, we will be looking for help. That might take the form of letter writing, attending meetings, or other actions.

I would also encourage everyone who supports FOT's position on this (or other) issues to become a member or make a donation. FOT is an all-volunteer organization, so we rely on everyday people to make things happen. We take the little money we have and make it go a long way, so please consider becoming a member or donating.

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/become-a-friend/

Bob Olajos, President
Friends of Temagami
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 1:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Where EXACTLY would this bridge go across?? Sorry I'm not up on this at all.}
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 487

Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The bridge proposed by Vermillion Forest Management, which has been rejected twice by Ontario Parks, would cross near where Selkirk Creek flows in, between Eaglenest Lake and Lyman Lake. There is already a road built basically to the park boundary on the southern side. All they need is a bridge to access the timber on the other side. The road corridor is labelled Solace Roads Alternative 1&2 in the image below. The currently approved access road corridor crosses the Obabika River and comes in from the east. It is labelled Solace Road Alternative 4 in the image.

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 488

Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home