Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * 2016 summer canoe/fishing trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

darryl_p

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Would anyone be willing to recommend a canoe route or lake with a high probability of successful pike fishing, preferably away from cottages and motorized boats? Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

janik

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, February 3, 2016 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wawiagama Lake has great pike fishing. I haven't been there in about 8 or 9 years but there used to be lots of good sized pike in there. Best spots were by the weeds at the south west of the lake (by the creek between the cliff and the western road access)and on the south shore by the rocks close to the camp site. I'm not sure what the road from Emerald Lake to the access looks like since it has been a long time since I've been there. No cottages on the lake and there should not be many motorboats around, or at least not during the week.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, February 6, 2016 - 6:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have always had luck on Olier and Denudus Lakes. They aren't too far and no motor boats. They are smaller quiet lakes. just troll in your canoe around and around the lakes. The small bay on Olier where the stream from Denudus comes in is a good spot, but have caught pike, pickerel, and bass everywhere.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, February 6, 2016 - 7:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

By the way, there is a giant fish in Ollier lake that ran off with one of my lures. I've caught a 25 pound pike before (not in Olier or Denedus) and whatever has my lure is bigger or at least tugs harder.
 Link to this message

darryl_p

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 6, 2016 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We went to Wasaksina last summer. It was a beautiful lake with great campsites, but we had a hard time finding anything but bass. Some of the guys want to go back because the lake is so nice, but Id like to find a different spot and see something new again this year.
 Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was thinking of going back to Wasaksina late next August 2016. What are the conditions of the camp sites. I haven't been there for 10 years but really liked it.}
 Link to this message

darryl_p

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We stayed on an island at the north end of the lake where Driftwood runs in. It was an awesome site. Plenty of room with a great view of the lake. I think we're heading back there in the second week of August.
 Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is Wasaksina getting very busy in August. We were there about 10 years back and it was real quiet in August.
 Link to this message

darryl_p

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

just some boats from the lodge on Herridge lake, but Wasaksina is pretty big so it doesn't feel crowded.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You could try the Diamond Wakimika Obabika loop. It's nice, but busy. If you want to get off the beaten path a little (at least compared to Cross-was sacks and diamond Wakimika Obabika), you could put in at Temagami, and arrange fori pick-up at Anima Nippissing Lake. That would be very different for ya. I don't know how much time you have, but you could figure out a loop trip up that way.
 Link to this message

hahny

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We went into Gamagowong a few years back and caught our limit in pike very quickly. I don't think anyone went 10 minutes without a hit.

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/kellys-routes. htm#map
 Link to this message

darryl_p

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

are there any canoe outfitters in the chiniguchi area? We're about 7 hours south of temagami so bringing up canoes is kind of a pain. I've also wondered a lot about areas east of temagami like glasford and maxam lake as well as the matabitchuan. Would anyone know about walleye/pike fishing in that area? thanks for all the responses by the way.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 79

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sportsman's lodge on Kukagami lake rents canoes. George, the owner, is a fisherman himself, he should know about pikes.
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Hahny, you mention Gamagowong as good for Pike, is it worth the haul in for a day of fishing? are they big pike?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home