Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * What is this? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

stephent

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 7, 2016 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Attached pictures taken last August near the northern campsite on Rawson Lake.
The 'plate' was about 10m south of the campsite, in the bush, near the shoreline. My guess is that when the tree it was attached to was still standing, the 'plate' was facing the lake.
Any ideas?
 Link to this message

stephent

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 8, 2016 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

pictures that I forgot to attach to original post

Link to this message

dan_carpenter

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, February 8, 2016 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Ontario coat of arms on the tag means that it is some sort of mining claim or other reference point registered with the Ontario government. Maybe somebody else who sees this post can provide more specific information.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1730

Posted on Monday, February 8, 2016 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Definitely an old mining claim.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 74

Posted on Monday, February 8, 2016 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beware: there are some faux portage trails in this area, some marked with flagging tape, that end in the middle of nowhere with a post and a tag.
 Link to this message

stephent

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Did some digging and found this:
http://www.geologyontario.mndmf.gov.on.ca/website/ historic_claim_maps/S/Sheppard.pdf

Not sure if it's relevant, but to me it does not seem to show prospecting activity near Rawson.

But it does, however, show a rectangle of land near the campsite labelled '1157825'.

Amazing that these records still exist and are online - one of the maps is stamped 1936...

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1317

Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Stephent:
The Province (MNDM) logs all of the Claim work done in the province since the late 1800's when they started to keep records.In the early 1900's geologists travelled the province, by canoe mostly, to explore what mineral resources might be available.As they did so they also noted the location of canoe routes that they used in their travels. They developed crude maps of the routes and the geological information they gathered. The maps etc. were published in the Ontario Annual Geological Survey reports which are also available on line. The reports are helpful in locating old canoe routes.

eddy_turn:
If you find yourself following a suspicious trail that looks like a portage, check your compass bearings. If the trail appears to be running almost due North and South or due East and West, you are likely following a Claim line that a prospector has carved out to delineate his Claim.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 75

Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for pointing it out ed. As a matter of fact I realize now that two claim lines I investigated around Parsons lake were running almost exactly S-N.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home