Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * Florence Lake loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sblakeley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 7:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everybody, this is my first time taking part in the Ottertooth forum although I have been following it for a while. I spent all of my summers on Temagami when I was younger as my dad had a cottage there. I know the lake itself pretty well and most or the surrounding ones but this summer I am planning on trying something more ambitious, mainly the Forence Lake route. My plan is do this in 10-12 days starting and ending back at Sandy Inlet.

I plan to go through Wakimika and the series of lakes west of there on the way over although I know that is not the recommended direction to go. The thing is I would like to make the return by the Lady Evelyn River as I have been on it before.

My question is whether it is possible to go through Lewbert Lake to Ames Creek. On some maps the portages are listed as unconfirmed. Would this be a better route than coming up the Ames from Pinetorch? I am little worried about finding the portages on the Ames as they seem hard to locate. Also, is it possible to make it through that mud hole they call Skooztagan? I understand in dry years it can be a challenge and I don't want to get stuck there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1734

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If it is on a map on Ottertooth, it is confirmed. Unlike other maps that are published using info from other maps or info in forums, everything on an Ottertooth map is there from actual exertion. And they can be revised regularly as conditions change.

So yes, the Lewbert route is there and well used.
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland01.ht m

If you are coming from Wakimika, heading to Florence, Lewbert is the easier route. Thanks to the beavers, the route around Skooztagan has changed dramatically, for the better. Check the above map.
 Link to this message

sblakeley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the information Brian. I'm glad to the see that beavers are making things easier for the canoers.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 158

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

What is the recommended direction for this route, and why?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 2:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Recommended direction is slightly controversial actually. Hap's guide says clockwise. On Ottertooth the preference I think is counterclockwise, and for one reason- the portage from Nasmith to Hap's "lake #13" which is now named, though I can't recall the name- the very steep uphill portage, I believe it's around 1700M.
Having done that portage in both directions, I'd say yes obviously it's easier downhill, but in the end maybe it makes a half-hour difference in a week-plus trip (an hour if you double portage).
So it's just a minor difference when you get right down to it.
Personally I prefer clockwise because then you get to run down the LER- to the extent that's possible of course depending on water levels!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1746

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 6:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The portage from Ames to Lewbert going counterclockwise would be a brute. So six of one and half a dozen of the other. But as grncnu said, that actual difference in time is minor.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 159

Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2016 - 9:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks brian and grncnu.

Another question. Is nine days too short to complete this loop...generally speaking?

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2016 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hard to answer that as everyone travels at their own pace- if it was me I would prefer a couple extra days- then again last time we were on Pinetorch lake we shared the campsite with a couple of Norwegians in their 20's who said it was only their 2nd night out from Sandy Inlet...

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home