Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * Lady Evelyn / Sucker Gut < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fredforest

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My partner and I are planning a week in the area (mid May) with the main point of the trip being to scale Maple Mountain. We will put in and take out at Mowat Landing. Can anyone recommend any nice campsites or other day trips to consider? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.. hope everyone enjoys the upcoming season even though there is a snowstorm outside my window today.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 2:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Since you have a week and high water, why not do Maple Mountain, then head down Chris Willis to Frank Falls, then Willow Island Lake, cross over to the South part of LE Lake and back up through Sugar Lake. That way you minimize repetition and see Frank Falls.
 Link to this message

fredforest

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks.. that is a lovely route to consider. Anybody have any favourite campsites along the way?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Campsites along that route are of a pretty uniformly high standard as I recall. I'm fond of the northern part of LEL (i.e. north of the direct route Mattawapika-Sucker Gut), as well as the extreme southern part of the same lake close to Diamond. I assume there's a campsite at Frank Falls though I can't remember for sure what it's like as we never camped there. Also a good cliff site on Sugar or the other small lake on the direct route back to NLEL.
 Link to this message

fredforest

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you, sir. I have heard the same with respect to the quality of the campsites in the area. There are several in the south end that look to be on nice points which I may also check out. As an update to a much earlier thread on shuttles in the area we have arranged for a shuttle into Sucker Gut through Mowat Landing Cottages. Trevor was great to deal with. Our plan is to shuttle in and spend a liesurely week making our way back.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home