Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 10, 2016 * New Temagami Canoe Route Program < Previous Next >

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 489

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Friends of Temagami announces a new Canoe Route Maintenance program for 2016. Since our founding in 1995, FOT has always been active in locating, promoting, protecting, and maintaining canoe routes in the Temagami area. At last year’s Annual General Meeting, our membership expressed a clear desire to renew our canoe route maintenance program. We spent much of the winter designing a new program that fits our capacity as a small organization, as well as satisfies provincial regulations.

Our new Canoe Route Maintenance program has three parts:

1. Lobbying the provincial government to increase support for Ontario Parks’ maintenance work inside Temagami’s provincial parks
2. Starting a new Adopt-A-Canoe Route program
3. Facilitating a maintenance-focused trip

The idea behind the Adopt-A-Canoe Route program is simple. If you are interested in adopting a route, you pick a route off of our list. Then plan your trip, go to the route, and do some basic portage maintenance and campsite clean up. We have a list of Do’s and Don’ts to help guide your activities. Typical activities might entail clearing back brush on existing portages, cutting out deadfall, and installing portage signage. Around existing campsites, it might involve cleaning up garbage, installing signage, and installing (or moving) thunder boxes. When you’re done, send us an email and let us know what you accomplished. We’re working on an appropriate way to reward all the hard work that we’re asking you to do. If you have any ideas, let us know.

For more on the Adopt-A-Canoe Route program, click here:
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/news/2 ... anoe-route

Here are the routes available for adoption:
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/temaga ... -adoption/

We can help with trip planning through our Ask An Expert service:
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/ask-an-expert/

The maintenance-focused trip is modelled somewhat on the Wabakimi Project. Over time we hope to grow the program and accomplish as much as the Friends of Wabakimi has over the years. This year’s trip is going to Blueberry Lake on May 7-8 — only a few weeks away! We’re doing it in cooperation with Ancient Forest Exploration and Research. The trip will also involve some regular maintenance on the old-growth hiking trails there. If you’re interested in joining us, drop us a line.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Looking after canoe routes is up to us — canoeists.

Bob Olajos, President
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 490

Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Try these links instead:

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/news/2016/adopt-a -canoe-route

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/canoe-route-maint enance/

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/ask-an-expert/

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/temagami-canoe-ro utes-for-adoption/
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 81

Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Bob,
a question about the "don'ts". When it says "Don't conduct maintenance work in parks or conservation reserves" - does it really mean that non-operating parks (Chiniguchi) or reserves (e.g. Wolf lake) are off the list for anything but garbage pick-up?
I do portage maintenance as a mater of routine anywhere I go (low level - cutting dead fall under 12" or putting/removing flagging tape where required/not). I'm sure this is what many travelers do in Temagami - or the area will become overgrown in a matter of few years, seeing little maintenance from Ontario. Am I in violation of some rules?
Sergey
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 491

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good question. When we were putting the program together, we asked MNR and Ontario Parks for their thoughts. They both said that any work planned for the parks and conservation reserves requires a work permit. That includes both operating and non-operating parks. We have some experience applying for work permits in parks and CRs. It's not easy. With this in mind, we opted to focus our efforts on canoe routes on Crown land outside of parks and CRs. There are lots of routes there that need attention.

I expect that cleaning up litter and removing fallen branches from park and CR portages will not get you in trouble. However, if you have plans for anything more than that, you should contact the Ontario Parks office in Temagami.

You ask about Wolf Lake. Wolf Lake is in a forest reserve, which is not a park and not a conservation reserve. For that reason, one of the "Adopt-A-Routes" is the Wolf Lake to Marjorie Lake to Laura Creek loop.

Many people are unclear where the parks and CRs are in Temagami. Some people think the whole area is a park. However, only 15% is protected IIRC. FOT maps clearly show where the parks and CRs are. And don't forget that 100% of the proceeds from our map sales goes straight toward our programs, including canoe route maintenance.

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/store/?category=M aps

While Ontario Parks did ask us to keep our program out of the parks, we have chosen to lobby the province for increased resources for the park maintenance program. With more money and people, Ontario Parks will be able to fully maintain all the canoe routes and hiking trails inside the parks. If you are camping in Temagami area operating parks, make sure you get camping permits. Proceeds from camping permits in Temagami go directly toward canoe route maintenance inside the parks. This is not the case in other parks, where camping permit fees go toward general government revenue. So if you want more maintenance inside parks, buy more camping permits.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 82

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Proceeds from camping permits in Temagami go directly toward canoe route maintenance inside the parks" - this is news to me! Though it won't change my reservations any, it's nice to know my money flows down to the same waters I paddle.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 7:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Excellent initiative, FOT!
The rest of this drives me nuts, however....
I totally agree that anything requiring the use of chainsaws or other motorized equipment should require a work permit.
On the other hand, the notion that the government has the right to object to anything more than "cleaning up litter and removing fallen branches" is just crazy, and if people had adhered to that over the past 40 years we'd simply have lost most of the portages and campsites by now!!
These routes have always been, and always will be, kept open by the users and the users alone, "by the shoe and the canoe".
The park fees (which I disagree with but that's another story) should be dedicated instead to severely restricting and policing ATV access and its attendant abuses, since that is the principal threat (along with logging obviously) to ALL of the backcountry including the parks.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 492

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the kinds words eddy_turn and grncnu. It is nice to know that Temagami area park permit fees do go into keeping the local routes open. Grncnu, please make sure you make your thoughts known to the Temagami Park Superintendant. It's also helpful to occasionally make your thoughts known to both your MPP, the leaders of the provincial political parties, the Minister of Natural Resources, etc. The more they hear, the more they know that people really care about parks and wilderness. Make sure you also write with positive comments occasionally as well. If there's a government program you like (e.g. park-based canoe route maintenance crews), tell the Minister. A few letters like that each year might protect a program from the constant drumbeat of cuts, cuts, cuts.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 493

Oh, and don't forget to Adopt-A-Route! Let us know if you're thinking about it.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 494

Oh, and don't forget to Adopt-A-Route! Let us know if you're thinking about it.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home