Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2017 * Temagami - Skunk - Gull - Turtleshell < Previous Next >

Link to this message

cote

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2016 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello all!

I'm looking to do a quick two day trip on or around the 11th of May.

Thinking of putting in at Baie Jeanne and taking out on Manitou, but that long multi-stage portage between Turtleshell and Manitou is a bit intimidating. Has anyone passed through there recently? (Though I know what sort of damage the winter can do, I am looking for any advice that I can get, really). Also, is three days and two nights enough for that sort of trek?

Any advice would be welcome!

Cheers,

Cote
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2016 - 2:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did that last year as part of a longer trip so can tell you that all the portages are OK. At least they were OK in August... you will find flooded sections in May I expect...
3 days should be fine as long as the winds cooperate- not only on Temagami but wind and big waves can be a problem on Gull as well.
 Link to this message

cote

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2016 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

grncnu: Thanks! We'll be bringing along trail-clearing gear just in case, so I'm not too worried about the odd deadfall.

Would flooded sections make for shorter portages, you think, or would it mean that we'd need to get wet feet?

For the wind . . . yeah, I'll keep an eye on the forecast before heading out.

Thanks again!

Cote
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1741

Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2016 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did Gull to Manitou a couple of years ago and don't recall anything particularly difficult about the portages. I think you should be alright, except for any recent downfalls.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home