Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2017 * Dees Lake to S Lady Evelyn portage < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1743

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 2:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There has been some gnarly scuttlebutt about the portage out of Dees Lake to the South Lady Evelyn River. There are actually two portages (see map) and published maps have only one marked: the western trail. The eastern trail follows the original nastawgan and anyone who has done both knows why the eastern was chosen by First Nations people. It is easier.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 8.htm

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for update. Last September I took the western portage and was surprised that it looked unused comparing to its mate - from NLER to Dees. But it wasn't hard to follow except for some dead falls, which I marginally cleared around. It's also pretty steep, especially on its Dees end.
 Link to this message

sblakeley

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 4, 2016 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anybody know if there is any advantage between taking the Dees Lake route north from Florence Lake or instead following the Florence River around and taking the short cut portage to the Lady Evelyn? I know the one route means 2 portages and the other is following the winding river. Is there much of a time difference between the two?
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2016 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think the primary advantage to the Dees route is if you're travelling upstream, especially in spring. Two years ago it took me only 2 1/2 hours to paddle down from the Dees portage near White Rock Rapids to the North Lady Evelyn end of the Dees route. I doubt I could have portaged through in less time (double-carrying)... and the downstream paddle is a lot less work... :-)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1754

Posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2016 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Or if you are facing wind. The Lady E is wide open through that stretch.
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 37

Posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2016 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Given the dry conditions this July, will the lower SLER from the Forks to White Rock Rapids (paddling upstream toward Florence Lake) have enough water to paddle through without difficulty? I plan to paddle this section in 2 weeks time.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2016 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You should have plenty of water for that stretch. The only time you might have to get out of the boat is at the swifts about two km downstream from White Rock Rapids.
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 40

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We travelled to and from Florence Lake from Chance Lake access last week via the NLER and SLER via the Forks.
No problem with water levels. White Rock Rapids were just runnable going down stream except at the very bottom when in became too shallow. We waded that part. Spent 3 nights on Florence and never saw a soul. One of the absolutely best lakes we have ever been on.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 93

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's interesting that one you can paddle from Chance access to Florence in 1 day, but the lake sees almost no traffic (compared for instance with Wolf). It's probably 3 hours drive north from Temagami plus no easy way further out or absence of easy loop options that discourage many travelers. By the way, Temagami Outfitting has very reasonable shuttle option for one way trips from Chance to Temagami lake... Plenty of options for such route: LER or Ames creek lakes chain or Solace and down the Sturgeon... I hope one day I'll to take one of them.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1763

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good point, Eddy. Wolf Lake is a short drive from Sudbury (just pump that gas pedal) and it does not have overnight fees. Their loss.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home