Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2017 * Chiniguchi start at Rolly Jonas Lodge < Previous Next >

Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey all, We are doing the Southern Chiniguchi Loop starting at Jonas Lodge up through Maskinonge Lake and around,,,,(We stared at Sportsman lodge last year through Donald lake and back around through Matagamasi Lake) couple of questions for you all
1) how do we contact Jonas Lodge for parking
2) Is the road ending on Carafel creek (just west of Jonas Lodge) for parking, if so is it safe?
3)Prevailing wind on Maskinonge Lake is from SW??
4) Best Campsites on Maskinonge Lake are?
5) Coming back around is it better to go Donald Creek and down or Carafel Creek? Better fishing?
6) do any of these lakes have Pike fishing?
7) any other tips , suggestions?

Thanks

Scott CampHeiden
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1745

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Safety is a mindset. Most places are safe, but nothing is guaranteed. Personally, after decades, most people I know have never been vandalized. If you want piece of mind, park at Jonas's.

Yes, that is the prevailing wind.

One creek or the other, where are you coming from: Donald or Kukagami?

Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Donald, We started at Sportsman lodge last year through Donald lake and back around through Matagamasi Lake... this year start at Jonas up around back through Donald and then either Donald Creek or Carafel Creek. Through Donald Creek is less portages, but you could get a good wind up Maskinonge Lake....course last year after we came from Doon lake we got wind bound at the first campsite on Upper Kukagami Lake.....and had to wait a couple hours before crossing to Island campsite in the south east end of Upper Kukagami.. challenges and opportunities, cannot wait.... 59 days to go.. eh?
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 85

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As far as I heard - Jonas parking is available, no need to reserve. And no way to. Ask George about fishing prospective, he'll know.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

park at Jonas'. no need to call, especially since there is no telephone. Dennis the fellow, or was last time I was there just over a year ago.
Maskinonge has a nice little campsite on an island just a short paddle up from the put in. or camping up between Edna and Karl on the portage is nice, too. a bit small for a large group.
Maskinonge is a beautiful, tranquil lake. Although I paddled it in to a fierce headwind and it took four hours to cover the seven miles. a lot of open water when it is blowing hard.
as for parking for free...I think it behooves all of us to participate in the economy of those who facillitate our past time. considering the short season and the low numbers, I can't imagine anyone up there is bringing in a lot of cash, no matter what they are providing.
enjoy yourself.
 Link to this message

hahny

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been going to Rolly's every summer for the last 29 years.
1. Lots of parking there, Dennis is the caretaker and will help you out. There is a fee.

2.The Road to Carafel stops at Rolly's driveway now.

3. The Lake can get choppy with a north wind. The opening between east and west bay can be tough too later in the day, I recommend crossing early morning.

4. Most of the islands offer good campsites.

5. Donald Creek is a very difficult portage and I wouldn't recommend it heading into Donald. There are also restrictions on fishing one of those lakes (potvin I think). The fishing in Carafel is good.

6. Maskinonge has pike, but since the MNR took back over the Dam the water levels to sustain Pike spawning have been terrible and the pike population is diminishing. The Best pike fishing is east of the lake in Gamagowan http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/kellys-routes. htm#map

7. I went from Rolly's all the way north through Edna and Karl and around into Donald and back through Donald Creek. Great campsites and great fishing. We stop at Karl falls every year now and stay a few days and fish Karl and Upper Mat.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 86

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Donald creek portages are more difficult than most in Chiniguchi, they can be compared in difficulty to the Sturgeon river, for instance, but this is not the reason to avoid them. As often is the case, the difficult route is rewarding in its beauty and challenge.
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry I did not say free parking.... just different options,,, as mentioned we parked at Sportsman's lodge and they were very helpful as all the locals are..... As well as at at Mowatt landing Cttages the year before.. always support and participate with the locals they are awwsome....
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 - 9:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I used Jonas lodge last season to access Maskinonge and Donald.

The parking was 8$/day. He has a huge parking lot no need for reservations.
The road to Carafel ends about 800m from the bridge (which has been removed)and could be portaged easily.
I accessed Donald going up Donald Creek. I did not find the portages difficult. I came back to Maskinonge thru Kukagami and down Carafel Creek. A lot more portages that way but very beautiful.
Suggest climbing to the lookout at the north end of Donald.
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I know how the fishing is in Donald for Lakers and Smallmouth bass,,,, do any of these lakes Have Pike or walleye in them??
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Hahny, you mention Gamagowong as good for Pike, is it worth the haul in for a day of fishing? are they big pike?
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Your best bet is to ask at Jonas Lodge. He did mention something about Musky in Carafel Lake :-)
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 29

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Zed....where is the lookout at? we stayed last year at the peninsula campsite at the north end,, was pretty nice...any of the lakes have pike? ( I have not caught a pike in 3 years - Eagle Lake had some nice ones in the north) and off the dock at Mowatt landing)))I know most have smallies and some lakers,,,,.50 days to go I cannot wait................Cheers.. Scott
 Link to this message

janik

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Check out the MNR's Fish ON_Line. It has a map of the lakes with the species of fish in each one of the lakes. It's not 100% accurate but it gives you a good idea of what you could catch. If I'm not mistaking Matagamasi and Kukagami should have walleye and most of the lakes on this loop have pike. Be careful with some of these lakes that are fish sanctuaries and are closed all year (Edna, Colin Scott, Potvin).
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The interactive chiniguchi map shows the best corridor to climb the cliff at the north end of Donald (purple line). There is no trail but it's worth the climb.
Matagamasi has pike for sure.
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great views from the lookout at the north end of Donald Lake. Easy bushwack from the shoreline.

View of the peninsula campsite at the north end of Donald L.

View from lookout cliffs
 Link to this message

hahny

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I went to gamagowan a few years ago with Rolly Jonas, we caught our limit quickly and were back at the lodge in good time. They were not trophies, but real good eaters (3-7 lbs range). I have been told that carafel holds good musky too, Zed already mentioned that.
 Link to this message

hahny

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I should mention we had a small merc motor and gas ( there was 4 of us). There is a big hill to portage but I would say it is worth it. We would have stayed longer but Rolly got 2 treble hooked through his hand and my father was a little too eager to pull them out. If I were to plan it without power I would plan 2 days, one in and one out. Now that that I think of it, I might do that next year.
 Link to this message

hahny

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also 50 days is a long time!!!! I will brag at my 23 day count!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1747

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2016 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Map of lookout trail:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini8.ht m
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 30

Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2016 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

actually it was a 50 day countdown, we will be there camping and canoeing for ten days and the countdown is 45 days..... btw and recommendations of what the best sites of the 4 in Carafel are? there are only 4 of us so two tents... thanks for all the great information guys!
 Link to this message

hahny

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2016 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know about camp sites in carafel, but let me know how you make out scott!

I should have wrote countdown not count... 15 Days left for me!
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 87

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd say looking for a perfect site, among other things, is what's making unknown the unknown.
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

as mentioned in my other tread we did Smockey and Noganosh this year and had a great time, will do this trip in 2017.... eh?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home