Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2017 * Ames creek / lower Yorston trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2016 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Got some time for a last minute trip and wanted to so a loop up the lower Yorston , up Ames creek, Lewbert, Pintorch Creek stretch and back to start. Does anyone have up to date condition of twinkle road to Yorston bridge? Is that a good place to put in and leave car. I think I read in another thread that bridge /road over Obibika was deteriorating but passable.?? I will be going slowly as needed in a sedan (with spare tires). Other choice was to try the Goulard road to gate at Wawiagama L.and put in there... down to Sturgeon ,Up the Yorston (which I've read can be a slow grind at times), up to Pinetorch and back across Misabi area down Nasmith creek , back to WaWiagama. I have approx 7 days to trip, perhaps 8, not enough money to fly in, and really wanted some solitude and I look forward to some work to get it. The Ames,Missabi area all sound wonderful. (So does Pilgrim Creek route in Haps book if I can get there).Any thoughts with time, put in access and water levels are appreciated.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1748

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Yorston bridge has been replaced and road was in good condition to there, last year. Beyond that road deteriorating and one sinkhole developing. If really cautious, you might be okay. Just not sure what it is like this year.

I would not recommend travelling upstream on the lower Yorston above Lunch Lake unless you like hard work and slow pace. Also the route between Linger and Pinetorch Lake is not maintained and one portage is not all there, despite what maps show. But if you don't mind a little bushwhacking and humping around in the bush looking for the way forward, then you'll love it. See notes on this map:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 1.htm

Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was just trying to avoid going east to west across Misabi area. Am I correct in assuming it is much tougher this way?
I don't mind a bit of bushwhacking as a little unpredictability keeps things interesting. How tough is travel upstream on the Sturgeon from Yorston up to Pilgrim? Does anyone know of canoe rental in River Valley area on way up?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1751

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have travelled upstream on the Sturgeon in low and high water. Seemed much easier when the water was low, but both are do-able. Take the west-side portage around the 3 rapids that empty the Triangle.

Upstream on Yorston and climbing Ames Ridge are the biggest challenges, I see. But it is hard to tell someone what can and can't be done when you don't know the person, their skills, the weather, their physical abilities, etc. I think someone else on here mentioned this same point recently.
 Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you again. Your site, maps and words are both inspiring and helpful. I've only just discovered the Temagami area having done one good loop trip there 2 years back through Solace but I'm planning many more in my mind thanks to your site. My son has just today found he can get off work and join me so I may switch to up/and down lower North and South LER from Sandy inlet. I think he may enjoy the waterfalls more than the climbs, bugs, and possible bushwhacking through Misabi and Ames Creek area (It sure got me excited just reading about it...Solace and Pilgrim Creek also on my wish list)...I'll have to save those for my next solo...but it sure doesn't sound like Ill be too disapointed with LER., and I know bugs will be there too.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home