Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2017 * Nonangosh Lake Area (prov park) < Previous Next >

Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looks like we may be saving our Chiniguchi trip for another years as half our crew cannot go,, so we are looking at Callans book and saw Noganosh Lake trip and its looks interesting..does anybosy have any advise for this place??? question is there allot of Boat traffic? Is it a busy place in July? Is it good fishin? for...... best campsites??? anything else??? Thanks and Keep your paddle in the water
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, July 2, 2016 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Noganosh Lake itself is not familiar to me. but I use that topo map for the Magnetewan. I have travelled the lakes all around there and it is great canoeing. the Magnetewan beyond the rail bridge out of Big Deep Bay is free of boats other than small fishing boats with small outboards that can be portaged.
Trout Lake is beautiful, as is the entire north Mag down to the highway. the fishing has been quite good in the past.
I go in at Nascoot and work my way up to the Mag through Horseshoe Lake, Lone Tree Lake or I go around through Bolger and come out just below Canal Rapids. North of there, I have portaged in to some of the lakes that link up to Nagonosh.
It is beautiful country. frozen Crown Land and a waterway park, I believe. good luck.
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2016 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey fireman, so you mean the Magnetewan River system below Noganosh? if so whats the best Launch point? any recommended campsites? Whats the fishing good for? please advise and thanks..
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been going up to the Mag for over twenty years, several times a year and never tire of it.
Initially, I launched at Harris Lake Marina, which is still a good option. there are a fair number of cottages on Harris Lake but the first portage solves that issue.
But mostly I launch at Naiscoot Marina, just a quick left (west) off of the 400 (old 69). Tim and Rosy run the place and it makes for great piece of mind. they have a good feel for the fishing, as well.
East along Naiscoot Lake and up in to a series of lakes that brings you to Big Deep Bay and then on to the South Mag. The portage and then up to the Tee in The Mag, as it is known. From there you can check out Trout Lake or head downstream. All of the waterfalls on the North Mag have good fishing. Mountain Chute, StovePipe Thirty Dollar Rapids, the whole river is good. By my measure, any way. It feeds us as we paddle.
After Miner's Lake, the south side of the river is Reserve. but there is a small island in the middle of the river, half a day from the highway, that is just perfect.
you have a lot of options up there.
cheers
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

if you have the time and inclination, you can carry on the Mag out in to Georgian Bay, down the coast and back up the Naiscoot River (no portages save on short one right at the end) to the Marina. From the highway out in to the bay and back up the river is about three days, two if you push hard. of course, waves can be a factor but you can paddle amongst the little islands on the coast. There is a coast guard light house part way. it is very beautiful and makes for a great sunset on Georgian Bay. Inner Head Island is a magical place to camp. just shy of the Naiscoot River Delta. You can also carry on east on Naiscoot Lake and head north up to Bolger and come out at the east end of Trout Lake by the bottom of Canal Rapids. enjoy.
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anybody know how the portages are in the beaver dams in Smokey Creek heading down to Smokey lake to Noganosh Lake??????

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home