Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2017 * Portage to Lorrain Lake is impassible < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 163

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thought I would put this info in this forum, as well as the campsite/portage watch forum. The 995 m portage after Friday Creek, which leads to Lorrain Lake, is impassable. It has plenty of deadfall, but I was unable to get around two large downed trees about a quarter into the portage. As I said, it's completely impossible to get around -- even with the most determined bushwhacking.
 Link to this message

jman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the heads up. I was heading out there on Thursday to do a loop. I guess back to the drawing board. Blueberry lake is the main focus of this route. I'm paddling with my 3 1/2-year-old daughter and wife. I am trying to keep the poor colleges down to less than 1000 m each.
 Link to this message

jman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Poor colleges" is supposed to be "portages". That's what I get for not reading my post before I send it. Thanks for nothing auto correct on my phone!
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 165

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm going back up in a couple weeks too, and now I'm wondering about the state of the Blueberry-Telford-Chic portages.
 Link to this message

jman

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 1, 2016 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've decided to do a route from Hap Wilson's book. Canoe route #10. I am hopeful that the portages are not too bad. My biggest question or concern is water levels on MacDonald creek between Cooper lake and Maxam Lake. I'll report back after I return. Enjoy your trip and good luck with those portages.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 174

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

jman - I just returned yesterday (August 21) and the water levels on MacDonald, Cooper and Maxam are fine.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home