Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2017 * CBC radio The 180, Sunday, July 31st < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The final 8 minutes of the show is about canoeing vis a vis Truth and Reconciliation. have a listen.

OK,I post this here only because I think this section gets a bit more viewing. If anyone feels a need to move it, go ahead.
I listened to this piece as I drove home from work and I will simply state that my emotional reaction to it was one of disbelief.
Not that there is not plenty to chew on, but I think it is so far off the mark it deserves a bit of discussion.
I will not rationalize my position. it is where I am at in my life in terms of Canadian politics as much as anything else, but I will say that my exposure to this website and forum flies in the face of what the article is claiming.
I would be fascinated to hear what others think.

happy paddling. JR
 Link to this message

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I had to listen to it twice to process her view. And I'm still processing mine. A "Rebel Flag" symbol of the north? I shall never look at a beaver the same way again. She did raise a valid point about knowing where you're paddling, and the history of the land but I'm under the impression that most of us think that way. Perhaps Ms. Dean simply hates canoing or cannot handle what isolation fosters. Introspection.

We travel in life to find our worth... I paddle to forget mine and have found something else.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 1321

Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is like adding up 1+ 1 and getting 5 or maybe 6 as an answer.

The canoe is an invention of North American native people and I thank them very much for it, as it has been an enjoyable part of my life since I was 12 years old.
In my mind, it has never been an instrument associated with colonization, residential schools, attempted assimilation, racism or any of the other nasty things we and our predecessors did to FN peoples.
Some of us romanticize about the canoe, but I see it as a means of travelling around this vast country that we share. The fact that we have not shared too well has nothing to do with the canoe but more to do with our unabated greed.

Shame on Dr. Dean for trying to connect all our sins to this iconic object. Perhaps she would benefit by taking some courses in logical thinking. larfaculty/dean-misao.php
 Link to this message

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the link Ed. I love that pic. The first known use of the helmet was by the Assyrians. Would she be wearing it so proudly if she knew it was a symbol of war and conquest. By her logic of course.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bearburrito, not just a funky handle, but the insight of your statement speaks for many of us.
And yet, of course, one must (I suppose?) put emotion aside and flex to grasp her drift?
Which is very much my rational mind not wanting to let my heart respond to this.

I think the moment FN becomes attached to a discussion, everyone is very cautious about what they say and even how they feel.

My heart says this: spirit quests, sweat lodges, journeys into the wild are not the sole realm of FN's people. To suggest that someone, by merit of their ethnicity or even culture, is more in touch with humanity or the planet...well, it is the discussion of academics, I think.

to travel this planet is the right of every human, if done under one own's power. I cannot argue that there is no technology in canoeing, but it is not a jet plane, nor a bulldozer, nor a tank. anyone who has met the Devil on the portage trail knows this.
I am more inclined to think (as a result of hearing this piece, I am certainly examining all this in my head)..that what we are all referring to is a rather rare (not privileged in my opinion) experience that few people can grasp.
Not to be snobbish, but I cannot imagine that a calculable number of Canadians understand what is meant by "wilderness canoeing".

And I am somewhat encouraged in my view after seeing the good Professor in helmet engaging in a past time that is so frivolous and problematic as motorbiking. If one is to get judgemental in all of this and I think the Professor kind of drew first blood on that score.

I have come across this phenomenon recently with my work where a shabbily composed documentary on the Toronto Fire Services put everyone in a tizzy for a while. Until we (the firefighters) reminded ourselves that we are responding to a voice that does not speak from any experience.

I think after the millions? of paddle strokes, the endless steps of portages, the cold swims, the sore backs, the burnt fingers, the black fly related illness, etc., etc....A person knows what he or she is all about out there.

Maybe...things are different out West? It could be. I do know that the canoe is the way to travel the Canadian shield and well beyond and that every stroke is sacred to me. Bar none.
And honours the soul of every canoe ever built.

Oh well. why get upset? Doesn't change my trip plans one bit. Glad it got a response. Must say I am not in the least bit surprised by what I have read. Thanks. nice break from the issues of Toronto at any rate.
cheers folks.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2016 - 1:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Was Ms. Dean speaking on behalf of FN? Possibly. An MA, PhD, English Lit prof writing another book to add to her selected reading list. Maybe Jeannette Duncan will get bumped. Ethel Wilson's days are obviously numbered. Her English 250 course speaks of passion while again, like the CBC interview, touches on gender privileged pastimes. Shall we analyze?

When you look at your canoe what do you see? How does it make you feel? Final grade: Fail. I think most of us would not bode well taking one of her courses.

Travel well.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home