Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2017 * Ishpatina Ridge < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sblakeley

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am looking to do the climb up Ishpatina Ridge next week starting from Gervais Landing. The plan is to take a canoe and go through Hamlow and Woods Lakes up to Scarecrow. Would it be too ambitious to try to do the route from Gervais to Ishpatina and back in one day? It looks like about 20 kms there and back plus the climb. I would like to save myself hauling all of my gear over the 1600 m portage out of the Sturgeon River.

Also, how difficult is it to get from Capreol to the landing? I have the Ottertooth map and some other information. Should I have a GPS as well?

Any info would be appreciated.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 96

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I found ottertooth map to be totally sufficient to navigate from Capreol to the Sturgeon, but it's nice to have GPS to confirm your whereabouts. As always, beware of logging trucks. Can't help on your other question.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 1:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would say it would be a very bad idea to even think about doing that in a day, i.e. all the way from Gervais to the top of Ishpatina and back!
Not saying it couldn't be done... in perfect conditions and with no unforseen problems...
But what if something happens and you are delayed at Scarecrow or something, what do you do then!?
You have no camping gear... what if it's cold and raining?
My advice would be to get an extra day off and do the damn portage!!
 Link to this message

mcon99

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

From this trip report, who did multiple summits in one day, I think the takeaway is use you bike for the first section.

http://www.ontariohighpoints.com/ishpatina-ridge-o verland/

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1774

Posted on Saturday, September 3, 2016 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think it is a lot easier to use the Ottertooth map than the description on that link.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 3b.htm

And yes, with a bike and the mapped route, it is a day trip, barring anything unforeseen.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1775

Posted on Saturday, September 3, 2016 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh, important to note, I believe the bridge is gone so you will have to ford the Sturgeon, but the water is very low right now.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1776

Posted on Saturday, September 3, 2016 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

And if you need to use a GPS, except at the trail turn marked on the map, then it is not a day trip anymore.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home