Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 29, 2017 * Winter access points < Previous Next >

Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

I know this is a canoe forum but I was wondering if someone would be willing to share some winter access areas with me?

I'm planning my first winter camping trip and I'm curious as to some good places to park in order to be out of the way and head out from there.

Also any information about some winter packed trails could be useful as I could trek a little further then I could breaking my own.

Thanks in advance
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1802

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is not just a canoe forum, so I look forward to seeing what response you may get. Happy holidays.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 100

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

George at Sportsmans lodge on Kukagami lake caters to snowmobile crowd, he also rides himself all over Temagami and outside. I'm sure he'll gladly share what he knows.
 Link to this message

walknabout

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi neo, there are a lot of options for wintertrekking, look up a few of my posts on the forum on possible routes. Sportsman's, Rocky's in Caperol , Wanapitei Camp on Sandy Inlet are all great outfits that you can base out of and are easy to get to. Once you get more comfortable with winter travel in the area, the options are endless.
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thank you for the replies!

I hiked up near camp wanapitei a few years back and would love to explore that area in the witner. My understanding is that red squirrel road isn't plowed?

Anyone know how far the road is plowed and if there is any parking available?
 Link to this message

walknabout

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Some great snowtrekking opps around the camp with great views of the area. For current conditions it'seems best to call the camp and get the latest scoop. Last couple of years the road was plowed well beyond Sandy Inlet.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1322

Posted on Monday, January 2, 2017 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I believe that Wanapitei has a caretaker during the winter season and they have a satellite phone, so you could try calling the number on their website.
Failing that, Camp Wanapitei is located within the Temagami Forest Management Unit, which is still the responsibility of the MNRF , North Bay district office. You could look up the name of the District Forester and call or email him about the road status.The phone directory is available on the MNRF website.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1323

Posted on Monday, January 2, 2017 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You need to contact Don Farintosh the managing forester for the unit... try this:

http://www.infogo.gov.on.ca/infogo/#orgProfile/732 0/en
 Link to this message

walknabout

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Were you able to get out at all neo?
Just wondering if red squirrel Rd is getting plowed this year? tried calling the camp, and it seems Don's job is up for grabs at the moment
 Link to this message

walknabout

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 7, 2017 - 3:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The road was definitely not plowed lol
Couldn't have asked for better weather for a wintertrekk through the Temagami bush.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home