Post Number: 14
|Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2017 - 4:25 pm: ||
Has anyone ever canoed from Jumping Cariboo to Cross Lake via Mann, Noris, Lowery, Flute then McAdams? Looking to do an abbreviated loop from Iceland lake to Cariboo then through cross to Wasaksina and back out through Iceland and driftwood.
Post Number: 1848
|Posted on Wednesday, September 6, 2017 - 8:37 am: ||
Decades ago. If you do it, let us know what kind of shape it's in.
Post Number: 15
|Posted on Wednesday, September 6, 2017 - 8:55 am: ||
We are planning on doing this next week. Going to leave enough time to get through since we don't really know what we're getting into. Not too much out there about this route. Will be checking out the portage between Lowery and Flute as a possible way around the creek.
Post Number: 16
|Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2018 - 9:52 am: ||
Some notes on our trip. Parts were pretty difficult to travel and one point I was up to my waist in mud (actually a couple times) and could not feel bottom as I held on to the end of the canoe. All in all the weather was awesome and the trip was rewarding.
Iceland Lake into Herridge Lake:
- docks on either side (outfitters). Wide easy trail. Well travelled. Local thought he could tell us how the trails run… we should have listened.
Herridge Lake into Wilson Lake:
- on back left of bay as approaching. Easily seen. Had marker tape. First 1/3 of trail was very boggy sinking up to knees. Last 2/3 was higher ground. Slightly grown in but still easily seen.
Wilson Lake into Ardahl Lake:
- drawing a blank on the details…. but it must have been easily identified. There was a rocky entry on Ardall with a tin can boat there. Motivation was high at this time, but about to be crushed by mother natures fudge river.
Ardahl Lake into Brophy:
- a tough go. Dried up swamp with bottomless mud. Very shallow water, hardly able to paddle. Beyond the large rock in the middle, passable by portage through creek area.
Brophy into Waha Lake:
- a boat launch from the lake up onto a road that runs parallel to river / swamp into Wawa. ** Good put in spot where Wilson Rd crosses** parking near power cut area.
Waha straight paddle into Ingall
Ingall into Jumping Cariboo:
- very short jump over. Easily seen. Really good camping island on Cariboo
Jumping Cariboo into Twin Sisters:
- portage on the left of the creek approaching, just at the base of a camp. Climb the hill up to the road and continue across Tonomo Lake Rd. All good roads / atv trails. Ok to jump into river to Twinsisters from open clearing just before trail climbs a steep hill near power lines.
- some beaver dams and hang ups into twin sisters, but nothing terrible.
Twin Sister A into Twin Sisters B:
- on the right hand side of adjoining creek. Short hill drop. Nice waterfall. Saw Moose on north/west side of Twinsisters B in marshy area.
Twin Sisters B into Mann Lake:
- lots of beaver dam jumps, nothing terrible. Nice sandy entry into Mann.
- looked to be a good camping island on Mann, for anyone stupid enough to go there
Mann Lake into Norris Lake:
- Dock exit from Mann up to Hailebury Hunting and Fishing Club. All vehicle roads down to Norris, where this is a dock.
- Amazing man bath area in the river between Mann and Norris, built by HHFC
- ** No real campsite on Norris except for tiny island
Norris Lake into Lowery Lake:
- portage easily seen. Keep north of large island on Norris and the marshy point extending out to it.
- trail is flagged with multiple routes, likely to hunting areas of the HHFC. For the most part, easily identified.
- very Moosey area
Lowery into Flute:
- took the river that joins them. Lots of beaver dams but fairly easy going.
- ** 1 massive pinch in the river with huge dam and blow down. Had to bush whack around it. Very time consuming
- ** 2nd pinch point with ATV trail crossing the creek. Seemed well travelled. Going south, branch on the map that goes back to the creek to Flute doesn’t exist. We found remnants of it and bush whack to creek.
- ** another ATV crossing right before Flute. Very cool crossing of just pilled up rocks. Not sure if still used.
- camped on Flute. Decent enough site on the rock on the main point in the middle. Heard moose. Very shallow Lake, puddle of piss really.
Flute into McAdam:
- ‘800m ash’ portage didn’t exist. Bushwhacked and flagged it. ATV trail does run down the crest between the two lakes as shown on map. We used it a bit in the portage. Fairly easy bush to walk through.
McAdam into Cross:
- didn’t exist. Bushwhacked and flagged it. Mucky swampy area getting out of the north tip of McAdam
- great camping island on Cross.
Cross into Wasaksina:
- long but well travelled portage. Likely a winter snowmobile trail. Easy to see and travel. Some slippery rocks.. steep drop at the end into Wasaksina
Paddle from Wasaksina into Driftwood
Driftwood into Iceland:
- easy and short. Well travelled by outfitters. Docks on either side.
Post Number: 1865
|Posted on Friday, February 9, 2018 - 11:06 am: ||
Haven't done Norris to Cross since early 70s. Wondered if it was still do-able.
Thanks for the great notes.