Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Sandy Inlet & Feruson Bay < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 43

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning a canoe trip for late August starting at Sandy Inlet in Ferguson Bay and have the following questions:
1. Is the Red Squirrel Road in reasonable condition this year?
2. Can a regular car drive down to the lower parking lot off Red Squirrel Road? (300 m from the water)
3. If we donít mind some extra time paddling, would the Pickerel Bay portage be easy than the Napoleon in order to get to the north arm (heading toward Diamond Lake). I have heard the Napoleon besides being longer has some elevation to climb.
 Link to this message

davemans

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 5, 2018 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Napoleon portage is not bad most of the climb is right at the start. Get your gear to the top of the hill and then start the portage.
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 44

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anybody travelled the Red Squirrel Road to the parking lots for Sandy Inlet recently. Can a regular car get down to the lower parking lot?
 Link to this message

gibson
Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I put in at Sandy Inlet a few weeks ago, and I would not recommend trying to drive a car down to the lower parking lot unless you have a high clearance 4x4 vehicle. That last section of road is very rough with huge potholes. I would recommend portaging from the "upper" parking lot.

Safe Trip!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home