Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Pinetorch Lk to Dorothy Lk < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, July 6, 2018 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning a trip in mid August (8-10 days) from the Sturgeon R, through Solace and ending on Lk Temagami. We have travelled recently from the Sturgeon over to Pine Lk, and I am looking for details on portage conditions between Pinetorch and Dorothy. Has anyone been through this area recently? Any details would be appreciated.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1887

Posted on Saturday, July 7, 2018 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Unless there are recent blowdowns, the portages are in good shape.
 Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, July 7, 2018 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian. I will report back here on the conditions after our trip.

One specific question - There is a 265m portage from Naismith Cr into Dorothy Lk. Is this one marked or easy to spot? It seems like the kind of trail that could be easily missed, unless there is a landmark of some sort or a trail marker. Hap's description says it is at a beaver dam, but that's the only tip I have at this point.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 135

Posted on Saturday, July 7, 2018 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was going the opposite direction and don't remember how well the landing is marked. Here's the view of the river left shore just upstream of the portage landing (which is also river left).
 Link to this message

tearknee

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, July 9, 2018 - 1:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been through there twice in the past two years. The trail from the Nasmith is flagged and relatively wide and easy to spot. It is frequently used.

The portage between Chapin Lake and the Nasmith Creek is, in my opinion, the worst in Temagami, but at least you're going downhill.

The Ontario Forest Fire Map (http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/ForestFire InformationMap/Index.html?site=AFFES_ONLine&viewer =AFFES_ONLINE&locale=en-US) is showing a significant fire right by Chapin at the moment, which could alter things.

Portages have been cleared from Talking Falls west to Pinetorch Lake as of this May, but I'm not sure if you're going that way or if you're going via Florence.
 Link to this message

jimmm
Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, July 9, 2018 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the details! That helps a bunch.
I have heard about the Chapin-Naismith portage before; sounds like a good challenge. I will keep my eye on the Forest fire map; we are still 4 weeks away, so hopefully things will clear up by then. We are travelling from the Sturgeon to Solace to Pinetorch; we did a section of this last Aug (Bluesucker to Pinetorch) and found the trails were easy to locate. I will report back here when we are done.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home