Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Tent footprint -- too large? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 176

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

It's been awhile. Anyway, I'm tripping from Chance down Evelyn to Florence, then back up to Graymud/Banks and Makobe. Does anyone feel a tent footprint of 85 sq ft too big for campsites in the area (I know Florence is fine), or would you suggest something smaller?

Note: I posted this question in another group by mistake, attempted to delete, but received an internal server error. Sorry for the duplication.

Thanks,
 Link to this message

rane

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I use an 8x10 tarp as a ground sheet under our tent, and have stayed at several of the campsites on the Lady Evelyn River from Chance to Macpherson Lake, as well as one site each on Grays Lake and Banks Lake. No trouble at all.

When are you going? Graymud has very little water depth, as of last week.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 177

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Rane,

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of going mid-August. Sounds like you were in the neighbourhood recently?

Link to this message

rane

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, about a week before the fires started. I don't know for sure, but I think much of the Grays River and Grays Lake will now be burned by the big North Bay 72 fire, that is still burning now.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 178

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rane - I think you're correct about the fire. Just read the following: "This fire originated in Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park and has now spread northeast outside the park boundary."

Totally sucks. Looks like such a beautiful area.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The federal fire map shows a big swath of the Grays River was burnt. Both campsites on Grays Lake appear within the fire perimeter so likely trashed. The campsite on Bercole L as indicated in Hap's book is also within the perimeter (although years ago when we travelled through here we couldn't locate this site anyway). This means you'd have to travel from MacPherson to Banks in a single day; a tough haul for sure. Portaging through a recent burn is a very dirty job. Expect EVERYTHING to get smeared with soot.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just noticed the time of year you're planning. Expect a bony Makobe in mid-August; especially this year!
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe
Post Number: 191

Posted on Monday, September 9, 2019 - 8:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

Once more, I'd like to go to Makobe area; however, I'm assuming the end of September will be pretty boney? Anyone know the water levels at the moment?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home