Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Most park travel restored < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1899

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

As of Aug 14, the parks are re-opened for travel with the following exceptions:

Makobe-Gray River closed

1. Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater burn closed: Hobart to Anvil and Maple Mt trail

2. Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater burn closed: Trethewey, Elissa, Makobe, Banks, Grays, Graymud basins
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 186

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2019 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Brian,

Would be nice to know the 2018 picture is for these areas. Have you heard anything?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1906

Posted on Friday, February 1, 2019 - 8:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nothing as of yet.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1907

Posted on Friday, February 1, 2019 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's what Kevin Pinkerton, park superintendent, responded to my inquiry:

Absolutely there are plans to fully open the interior routes impacted by the fires of 2018!

At ice out, I will personally lead a team of 4 additional staff and our focus will begin with clearing routes and campsites within the fire boundaries. This will involve clearing all routes from Banks Lake to Grays Lake, Makobe Lake to Grays River, Skull Lake to Mendelssohn Lake, and Skull Lake to Anvil Lake.

We expect to encounter an abundance of destabilized trees on, across and adjacent to campsites and portages. These trees will be removed, signage installed and privies replaced. I fully expect that we will return again to this area later in the summer as these destabilized trees will continue to fall and impact these said routes.

Ultimately all hazard trees will be removed within a tree length of all portages and campsites for obvious safety reasons. Until the area begins to regenerate, it will most certainly have a different look and feel. I will be posting an advisory on our website that will encourage visitors to these areas to exercise caution. In addition, we did experience winds exceeding 80 km/h late last September which I expect will create some challenges for early season visitors on other routes. We will continue to encourage visitors to report conditions they encounter and we will use this information to develop our work plan for the 2019 season.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1908

Posted on Friday, February 1, 2019 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Note that the route between Anvil and Mendelssohn is outside the parks but will be cleared by Ontario Parks. And for that, thanks to them.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe
Post Number: 188

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Brian - appreciate this info.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home