Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Post fire update: Anvil, Bergeron and Niccolite < Previous Next >

Link to this message

wiplar

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, January 7, 2019 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone know how burnt over the above named areas are? I have never traveled on those lakes but am interested in the area.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1901

Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2019 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That is a good question for the park office as I doubt anyone has been there since the fires. Anvil was closed to travel into the fall.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 187

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Unfortunately, the park doesn't open until the May long weekend.... sigh...
 Link to this message

shearjoy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2019 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mid October I went north from Anvil to Bergeron. Hit the burn area just north of Anvil, one port heavily burned but not blocked at that time. Burned trees may have fallen over the winter though. I had no problem on the portages until the one into Bergeron. I spent 2 hours clearing it enough to use. Bush there is about 50% burned. The campsites on Bergeron are all very burned. The one on the central point was useable as the tent pad was not burned and there is a bare rock by the fire pit. No firewood available at the site since it is burned but there are lots of shore areas that are not burned. The other campsites are unuseable due to fallen burned trees. The portage out of Bergeron, although very short, was completely covered in burned out trees. It was snowing hard enough to cover the ground and I was concerned about being able to find and use the portages between there and Nicolette, so I turned around and went back the way I had come.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1909

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2019 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The short "first" portage into Niccolite hosts a beaver dam that eliminated the second portage into Niccolite. I am wondering if that dam burned?
 Link to this message

shearjoy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry Brian, I do not remember noticing. But generally in that area the low wet spots were not burned badly. The total burned areas were the drier hills.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1910

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is a unique beaver dam. That portage is up a rock ridge. The beaver dam is on the top edge, close to the trees below it and on either side of it. It would not likely escape fire damage. Never seen a dam like it before, sitting atop that substantial rock dropoff.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe
Post Number: 189

Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

According to the Park, the Evelyn/Makobe area is still closed. They informed me they're going in this week to assess (and perhaps clear) the portages in the area.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home