Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * 5-day Route Suggestion < Previous Next >

Link to this message

edalgorf

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As the days slowly get longer it is time to start planning next summers trip. I was hoping to get some advice from this forum for a route suggestion in Temagami.

We are a group of 6 in our mid-30s with lots of tripping experience and in relatively good shape. We have the following criteria:
- 5 days / 4 nights (trip will be in August)coming from Toronto
- Would like to avoid paddling large sections of lake Temagami or Lady Evelyn
- Want a challenging trip that offers beauty and a sense of remoteness (don't
like seeing cottages or motor boats).
- Opportunity for side hikes

One route which has caught my attention is a loop starting at the Sturgeon River (Paul Lake) heading south then cutting west through Solace River PP to Solace lake. From there head north to Regan and then back to the put-in at Sturgeon River (Paul Lake). We would also do a side trip to Scarecrow to hike the Ishpatina Ridge.

Can anyone comment on the above route, specifically if this is a suitable 5-day trip and anything to watch out for (i.e. nice sites, mapping errors etc.)

I would also love to hear any other route suggestions that might fit our criteria.

Cheers
Evan
 Link to this message

edalgorf

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry, the above should read, "cutting EAST through Solace River PP to Solace lake"}}
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1903

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you choose this route, use the maps on the Canoe Atlas here. Solace, with all its islands, is a nice lake. Consider camping at Twin Falls. There are plenty of canoeists on the route to Ishpatina from Gervais and from the Montreal River.

Link to this message

edalgorf

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2019 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian. Would you consider this a 5-day trip?

Night 1: Twin Falls
Night 2: Solace Lake
Night 3: Regan/Hamlow
Night 4: Woods/Scarecrow (Hike Ishpatina)

We are travelling from Toronto so I consider day 1/5 as half days on the water.

Thanks
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1904

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes.
 Link to this message

edalgorf

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 1:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can anyone recommend an outfitter/person who could provide a shuttle to/from the Paul Lake/Gervais landing put-in.

I have checked in with Sportsman Lodge, Smoothwater and Temagami Outfitters and none of them seem interested in this shuttle due to the distance from they shops.

We also need to rent canoes.

Any help would be appreciated.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 148

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2019 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are coming from Toronto and doing a circle why a shuttle? Paul lake is Lakelands airways fly-in lake, I think. Canoes could be rented on your way from one of Algonquin Outfitters outlets.
 Link to this message

edalgorf

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2019 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks. The guys don't feel comfortable driving on the logging roads we their cars.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 149

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2019 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gervais road used to be in good shape, though logging roads deteriorate fast when not in use. I recall there's a company in Sudbury that does canoe air shuttles. I don't know their reputation but if they fly to Paul it's probably much cheaper than Lakelands that operates from the town of Temagami. Canoe club in Sudbury might direct you towards some other options.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1911

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's Sudbury Aviation.
 Link to this message

campheiden
Post Number: 52

Posted on Wednesday, April 3, 2019 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

2013 We started at red Squirrel, first night, first portage is straight up on Mt Napolean, then down into North Arm Portage into Ashton , nice campsite on easy side peninsula about 1/2 way down 2 nights, I think the Island has a fly in on it , portage to Lynx, than to Cole, than into Turner great on north end of island, spent 2 nights there great fishing.. portage over couple ponds to Eagle Island campsite on south end, eagle ridge is on east side , good hike up and nice view... caught nice pike around islands, if the water is low the portage to little eagle can be a challenge, nice campsite before portage over to ponds to white water small campsites on islands, we went on to Anima Nipissing , big campsite lotta old row boats around, spent one night there, went down to bottom of lake, you can portage back to squirrel through some ponds but it was just a mile or so walk back to red squirrel , so we walked got trailer and loaded up and headed out, total of 7 nights..... enjoy..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home