Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Ishpatina via Gervais Rd at the Sturgeon River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

hikerchris

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi All. I'm planning at trip to Scarecrow Lake below Ishpatina Ridge at the end of the month. We are planning to access it via Gervais Rd and the Stergeon River. The last time I was there was in the fall and I was able to cross the river as it was very shallow. Has any one been there in the spring? I was informed of a government site that has the flow rate (seems very high.) Maybe to high. Any input would be great. It's a long drive in if we can't cross.
Thank you
Chris
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Zero chance unless you’re driving a tank...
 Link to this message

hikerchris

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

GRNCNU, thank you so much for the information. I have decided to change my plans and won't take that chance. I would never do something risky or dangerous it just would be a HUGE bummer to drive all that distance to have to turn around. It will be a better trip with no disappointment. Thanks again to all.
Chris legare
 Link to this message

bushwhacker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2019 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

On May 3, 2019 we attempted to access Paul Lake via Gervais Road. We could not get near Paul Lake. Due to very high water levels, the Wahnapitae River had swallowed the road. We still had many kms left to travel on the road to get to Paul Lake when we encountered this problem. The road was a compete washout. I'm sure its better now but if not it will cost you a number of hours in travel time as it did for me. Perhaps, accessing Scarecrow via Montreal River/Smoothwater may be the best option in the early spring.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1917

Posted on Monday, May 27, 2019 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's great info. Thanks for sharing.
 Link to this message

hikerchris

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 1:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you very much. It will be a nice dry fall trip the next time I head up there. Looking forward to it already.
T.Y.
Chris
 Link to this message

hikerchris

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 1:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

And Brian. Thank you again for helping me get signed up.
Chris
 Link to this message

highpointer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has recently been on Gervais Road (up to the Sturgeon River) and can comment on it's condition ? I'm planning an overnighter up to Ishpatina in a couple weeks.

-Derek
 Link to this message

brian
Post Number: 1924

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

As these are mostly primary roads, I expect them to be open and travelable. However, I would contact Vermilion Forest Management as they maintain them.
http://www.sudburyforest.com/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home