Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Travelling upstream the Obabika river < Previous Next >

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 153

Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2019 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning on paddling the Obabika river upstream from the Sturgeon towards Wawiagama creek. Timing is around June 22-24. Expecting average season flow (currently it's at 25m3/s at Sturgeon falls) is it feasible for a solo paddler?
Cheers,
Sergey
(sorry for double-posting)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1921

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, it is feasible. Obabika upstream travel from the Sturgeon to Wawiagama is a regular route. Might be a strong current then, but quite do-able.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 154

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Brian. This leg is at the beginning of a long track into the territory and is critical for making the route. I'll let you know how it went if I come back.
 Link to this message

tearknee

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

eddy_turn: IF you come back? You'll make it ;)

We just cleared the portage between Wawiagama and Obabika Lk. Warning: Wawiagama is full of leeches. Don't go swimming. The creek itself is quite shallow if you're going that way but it's got a nice sandy bottom so wading is pleasant. Last summer there were quite a few trees in the way but my partner managed it with a broken foot so I think you'll be fine.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn
Post Number: 155

Posted on Sunday, July 7, 2019 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tearknee, sorry for the delay - I just got back to my desk. As a matter of fact I didn't make the Obabika: there's a fresh big strainer that I wasn't able getting around, it's right under the portage take-out at the Obabika-Sturgeon confluence - at least this is what I think I saw. Not totally sure since I couldn't see the landing from where I was. This may deserve a separate topic so I'll get back to it later. I think I have a picture to show.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home