Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Heads up on Obabika fall portage < Previous Next >

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 156

Posted on Monday, July 8, 2019 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just attempted to access Obabika falls portage from the Sturgeon and failed. It is my understanding that portage landing is located at the bottom of a steep sandy bank at the base of falls on the Obabika, in a pool just before the Sturgeon confluence.
I was there on June 22, in relatively high water. Trying to locate the landing I waded from the Sturgeon into the pool and after some wondering in thick bush I decided that the only place for take-out is the one that I neither can reach nor see. There is a fresh big fallen tree protruding from the shore for some 10-15 meters into the current. I didn't risk paddling around this tree since the outflow from the falls was quite strong and ferrying into that flow having the tree behind me looked dangerous. May be a tandem could do it or in lower water...
I attached here a picture of the pool with the strainer tree area circled and the zoom of that area, outlining the tree trunk and sandy bank above it.

Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, July 9, 2019 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That take-out has always been sketchy during high water. You need a solid understanding of how current affects your boat and the paddling skills to deal with it.
It is possible to bushwhack from a point further downstream but it's definitely not pretty.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 157

Posted on Friday, July 12, 2019 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's possible to bushwhack, but it's quite a jungle and to portage a boat it has to be cut through. As for the understanding - I didn't write about sketchy, but about dangerous. There's difference.
 Link to this message

shearjoy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2019 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just to update this thread for people reading it later. I went this way in late September and a trail has been cut along the top of the sand bank, extending the portage. The new takeout is where the pack is in picture 1. There was a bit of flagging tape there. The climb up is a bit steep, but doable and safe.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn
Post Number: 167

Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2019 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for good news!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home