Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 18, 2020 * Problems Bushy Bay portage to Matagamasi < Previous Next >

Link to this message

deepnet

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2019 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello All!

Just got back from a trip in Chiniguchi, and ran into an unpleasant problem with cottage owners in the area, FYI for others to be aware of:

- On Ottertooth, they indicate a short 100m portage as the main portage to take from Bushy Bay to Matagamasi:

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini4.htm

- But, the landing on the Bushy Bay side is now private property, owned by the cottage across the road.

- The short 10m walk to the road seems innocuous, nothing on the land, you would think not a problem (the piece of land is too small to build anything on it). There is a chain and 'private property' sign facing the road (not the water), but I guessed it was to prevent boaters from using the land to launch boats.

- I've used that short bit of land to cross over, then west on the road, to the public land farther on to get onto Matagamasi for many years.

- Well, on this last trip, as we walked down, the cottage owner came out yelling and screaming at us, and another canoeist family coming into the landing, saying, "Who told you could use this land?" Repeating it, obviously very angry.

- I had no idea this was an issue, and tried to move on, apologize, and move on, but she would not let it go, really up in arms about it. We simply ignored her, loaded up, and pushed off, to be told by another cottager the 10m portage is on private land, etc.

- Looking at the Crown Land atlas, sadly it appears ALL the land around Bushy Bay is now private:

http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca ... cale=en-US

- The other canoeists going in simply went to the landing in that bay on the west shore, which was not roped off, but is also private land from the atlas.

- The old Crystal Portage appears to have a landing as well nestled in the cottages... and is on private land as well.

Anyway, FYI, some nasty cottage owners with a pickle stuck in a bad place! Avoid!

I tried to post this on ottertooth, but their registration site seems down, oddly.
 Link to this message

deepnet

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2019 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I should add that I posted this originally at mycrr, where there has been some discussion about it:

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=1 07&t=47595
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1926

Posted on Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That is wild. Not sure there is even 4 meters of gravel sandwiched between the road and water that someone is claiming as private land.

All these routes are heritage routes and there is a right of passage the precedes private ownership.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1927

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2019 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have emailed you three times and it just keeps bouncing back, in case you were wondering why I didn't respond.
 Link to this message

deepnet

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2019 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I apologize Brian... I did not see your email!

Please feel free to contact me directly at: dan at deepnettech dot com (to avoid robots ;)

I agree that the allowance of the tidbit of land by the township was outrageous.

I am hoping that the old Crystal portage is a valid crossing, since it is a snowmobile route now.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home