Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 18, 2020 * Scarecrow to Mowat's < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ctwitty

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2019 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone,

Looking for input on a canoe trip we're doing in late September.

- Day 1, morning fly-in with, drop-in at Scarecrow Lake
- Hike Ishpatina and stay night 1 on Scarecrow
- Night 2 camp midway through Solace Wildlands
- Night 3 Florence Lake (north side)
- Night 4 halfway down Lady Evelyn River (Macpherson or Katherine Lake)
- Night 5 SuckerGut Lake
- Night 6 North Lady evelyn Lake
- final departure from Mowat's Landing

Anyone think this is not possible / realistic? I know we could get windbound along the way. I've also never done Solace Wildlands before, and I hear it's pretty dense with tough portages.

Thanks for your input.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 160

Posted on Monday, September 9, 2019 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It depends on your shape and experience. If you paddled Temagami before, than Solace park trails won't be much of a shock. Some hills around Maggie lake. The leg between Bluesucker and Florence is not an easy one, expect some bog on the longer portage, depending on water levels.Short portages tend to be on the easy side. By September most of portages should be in good shape, i.e. well traveled. Considering your schedule it looks like you are single-carrying the portages, otherwise it will make for long days.
 Link to this message

ctwitty

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2019 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the input eddy_turn, much appreciated.

All 4 of us are in our mid30s early40s, 3 of us have +100 days each of backcountry camping. We've all done Temagami before so we certainly have respect for the portages out there.

We plan on double-carrying for the first 2 days, since the food barrels will be quite full, but as the trip goes on we'll likely start doing packs & canoes together, starting on day 3

Sounds like our first 2 days getting from Scarecrow to Florence will be long ones, but not impossible...

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 163

Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You are looking at 10 portages a day at around 12-15 kilometers, in my book it's 7+ hours off the water... and the days are short. Possible, but not easy.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 164

Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

P.S. in case you're using Jeff's map beware that some camp sites it shows in Solace and Florence area could be poor or non-existent.
 Link to this message

ctwitty

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks. Sounds like we'd have a long trip ahead of us with that route.

Just to clarify: when you say 12-15 km per day, you mean just the portages, or you mean total distance per day? I'm looking at the Temagami canoe routes planning map and I don't see how it could add up to 15km of portaging through that part.

Thanks again for your input on this!
 Link to this message

ctwitty

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 165

Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry for confusion, I mean 5km portages/day, total about 15km if double-carry. Do you have latest ottertooth map of Hamlow port to the Sturgeon? It should read 1,650m.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 66

Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you look through the archive of august 2007, you'll see our trip report Wow what a trip that details a large portion of this route.

I think it is a doable trip, as long as everyone is OK with travelling all day long. Keep in mind the daylight is starting to wane in late Sep, so you will need to be up and at em very early to maximize your travel time.

Definitely a trip that maximizes some of the best areas of the parks.

Link to this message

ctwitty

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2019 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the feedback eddy_turn and simonb. That's really helpful.

We've talked about it as a group and we've decided that we're going to get dropped in Florence instead of Scarecrow, will give us more time for enjoying some nice evenings out there and maybe a few more leisurely breakfasts and dinners, and of course finding some great fishing spots. After all, it is a vacation!

Will let you know how it goes. Cheers.
 Link to this message

ctwitty

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Update!!

We finished the trip from Florence to Mowat's.

We had a really great trip, especially travelling the Lady Evelyn River where we managed to run and line a few sets of rapids, check out some old growth, and catch some nice brook trout along the way.

Wish I could have seen this area centuries ago when there were old growth all along the shore. The Golden Staircase truly is a magical place.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1930

Posted on Friday, September 27, 2019 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There has been no logging on the shores of your entire route from Florence to Center Falls. Centuries ago, the area may never have been completely covered in old growth, but possibly a mix of old growth and younger stands, as it is today.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home