Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Makobe in Late September? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 192

Posted on Monday, September 9, 2019 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not sure what the water levels are in Temagami this year, but is it safe to assume that Makobe/Banks/Graymud area will be bony, too shallow to navigate?

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 161

Posted on Monday, September 9, 2019 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is it not closed by OPP after the last year fires?
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 193

Posted on Monday, September 9, 2019 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It was closed last year; however, my understanding is that they cleaned up it this year.
 Link to this message

telzah

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not sure if this is useful, but in mid-August (2019) we parked at the Access portage into Trethewey, and went up through Cranberry Creek (not bad once on the creek) then south down the west shore of Makobe. The fire was pretty devastating but it was fascinating to see the fireweed and early regrowth already occurring. There is an intact campsite on the island between the main lake and the south arm that is pretty good. The portages and campsites in the southern route back to Trethewey have been burned out but some good soul has cleared the portages.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 162

Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - 7:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It was closed this June - good to know it's opened now. If somebody cleared the portages it was probably the park rangers.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 194

Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, there a park announcement earlier in the summer to that effect.

Too bad, though: sounds like Makobe is mostly burned.
 Link to this message

rocknrolla

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Telzah,
Any chance you guys got over to the east shore of Makobe at all and saw if the main island or the old pine across from the campsite on that large island survived the fire? Was one of my favourite places in all Temagami. And, the lakes on the return to Gamble, did any of them survive the fire? Thanks so much, I've been wondering ever since last year - will need to get some time to get back there myself eventually.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 195

Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rocknrolla - Would love to know, too, whether Makobe is in decent shape. Always wanted to go there.
 Link to this message

telzah

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Coming down from the North you dont see the fire area until you are in the main body of the lake. Can't say for sure about the big island - I think it was ok but it was pretty far away and we were fighting wind, we could see the burn right down to the shore on the east side and it came right around to the south side. We went back through the South Arm and there is a campsite on the island in the channel that survived although the very close shore was burned. Taking the south route back into Trethewey the fire spared the last two (western) lakes and the campsite on the small lake on Elissa creek just south of the Trethewey 400 m portage is intact (not heavily used). The fire was just the east/south sides of Makobe except around the bottom where it crossed the river and took out several small lakes.btw the bridge into Gamble is still out. As mentioned, we parked at the portage into Trethewey.
 Link to this message

telzah

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would add that much (probably most) of Makobe, especially all of the north and 90% of the west have been spared.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 196

Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's good to hear, telzah. I think I'm going to try to brave it for Sept 28 despite the low water levels. Thank for your info.
 Link to this message

telzah

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My pleasure. Have a great trip yellowcanoe. Fall is my favourite time for tripping.
 Link to this message

rocknrolla
Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Greatly appreciate the information Telzah!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home