Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Muskego River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

7ayloro

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am planning a route through the Muskego river, leaving from the little eagle access point, traveling up through Shallow lake and then on to Lady Evelyn east through the Muskego river, looping back through the Carpmoor lake route back through the Wildlands. I am wondering if any of you have info on the conditions of the portages, specifically the 910 from Eagle to Shallow lake, and the 425 river portage north of Young Loon lake? will the water levels be high enough in June? further more, I have never traveled during peak bug season, but seeing as the restraints the government has put on outdoor pursuits during the COVID crisis, I may be forced to endure the bugs in June (if all goes according to plan).
 Link to this message

canzcanoe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2020 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I paddled the Muskego River in August 2019 and the route was very rugged. The Muskego River is completely choked out by speckled alders in some sections and may require that you jump out of your canoe at some points to assist in moving through the dense brush. We did our best to clear some sections of the river, but there was no sign that people have paddled the river in recent years. The 425m portage north of Young Loon Lake is non-existent. My companion and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to find the portage. There appears to be a portage landing where the portage is marked on my map so maybe you will have more luck at finding the portage than we did. We eventually opted to carry our canoe through a rocky stream to make it to the other end of the portage.

I canít speak for the portage from Eagle into Shallow, but I did portage from Harris into Shallow and that portage was fairly used. I met a mother and her two young sons that had just portaged from Eagle into Shallow and they didn't have anything negative to say about their venture.

Water levels will be higher in June than they were for us in August. I can only see that assisting your paddle on Young Loon Lake as that lake is more of a shallow bog than an actual lake. Our paddle up the Muskego River was hindered more so by dense bush than low water levels. Just bear in mind that the forest to the north of Young Loon Lake was being logged in August. We could hear the engine brakes of a logging truck barreling down the road all day and night.

Overall, my experience paddling up the Muskego River and through the Wildlands was amazing (You'll be rewarded with a beautiful sight after paddling the Muskego River). I just listed the challenges that we faced based on your post. I would paddle it again in a heartbeat as I always enjoy a hard paddle!
 Link to this message

7ayloro

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Canzcanoe,

Thanks for the info. I am planning on heading out over the last week of June and in to July on a 12 day solo. Will report back with details of portage conditions etc.

Does any one have an idea of how voracious the bugs will be this time of year? I am generally accustomed to the early spring and later in the summer further south, so I don't have much experience with northern hoards. Should I be investing in a bug suit? Most (if not all) my time will be spend on the water fishing, its more the portages and evenings at camp that I am worried about.

TIA
 Link to this message

eddy_turn
Post Number: 178

Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Often black flies are heading out by the end of June and skeeters are present in various shades of horrific. Well established campsites could be bug-free except after dusk, but any venture in the bush, even for a short while, could bring back throngs of them. I bring in June good supply of Picaridin, small mosquito shelter, bug shirt and pants and a head net. Why not if it takes almost no place and ads almost no weight.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home