Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Friday Creek < Previous Next >

Link to this message

big_red

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone know if Friday creek portage is passable to Lorraine? First time posting I have been going to this area of Temagami for about ten years and am somewhat obsessed &#128512;
 Link to this message

edalgorf

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was through this area in 2018 and the portage was fine. With that said the actual creek is very hard to get through as you will need to bushwhack over the marsh to connect back with the creek prior to the portage.

We paddled up the middle of the creek and portaged in a left (west) direction for about 300m to get back to the creek. Was very tricky to say the least.
 Link to this message

big_red

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you edalgorf. Every bit helps and I will post our trip and if we make it through going this direction. Trying to extend the matabitchuan river route.
 Link to this message

edalgorf
Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No Problem,

We also did this section as an extension to the Matabitchuan River.

I just responded to another post on the same topic but here it is for this chain.

"Hi

I did this section as part of a larger trip 3 years ago in the second week of August; however we stopped at Glasford.

The Matabitchuan is extremely beautiful and was a pleasant surprise. The rapids were very bony and were either a bump and grind or a portage. I would not expect any real whitewater.

We came in through Outlet Bay and did the 90m portage. We attempted to do the 1000m portage but could not find the put-in off of the ATV trail and ended up walking well over 4km after everything was said and done. We were advised against doing the two 400m as we were told the water levels will be low in that first section.

One other thing to note is that we could not find the portage trail on the 750m between Cooper and MacDonald creek and ended up dragging the boats up the creek. I think the portage follows the ATV trail to the east but we were scarred from our mishap the day before on the 1000m portage.

The island site on Fourbass at the mouth the river is one of the nicest sites i've stayed in Temagami

All in all a great trip, with some rugged terrain and good solitude."

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home