Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Unmarked Campsite on Florence Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

klassen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 8, 2021 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

While exploring an inlet of Florence Lake a couple years ago, I stumbled on a very large campsite with a massive stone hearth (larger then anything I've seen in the backcountry) and an accompanying pile of fire wood. It was not marked on any maps I have of the area and seemed purposely tucked away.

Does anyone know if this could be a campsite used by the camps on Lake Temagami or something else?

If I go back with a larger group I may want to setup at this site, but wouldn't want to if its not intended for regular groups. Thanks.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 184

Posted on Thursday, April 8, 2021 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

To the best of my knowledge there's no "official" map of Lady Evelyn/Smoothwater park (that includes Florence), accordingly there's no restrictions on where to camp, beyond common sense: if something looks like a campsite then a campsite it is. Some sites are marked as such on the ground, some are not. Some marked sites are unsuitable for camping, including those on Florence. Surely enough, there are no "private" campsites on the lake. I camped on occasion on larger campsites in Temagami parks frequented by youth camp groups - if such a group arrived later and asked me if I mind sharing the site I surely obliged.
 Link to this message

klassen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 9, 2021 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the reply - what you're saying makes total sense. I guess I was curious if there was some unwritten rule I didn't know about but looks like it isn't the case.

If you are curious where it was, its further east along the shore from the beautiful (but exposed) site on the northeastern section of the lake. The impressive hearth is on top of a large rock outcropping up a steep hill from the water. Great spot for blueberries.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, April 9, 2021 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Could it be a former cabin site? I vaguely recall finding an old stove or fridge years ago close to shore east of that exposed site and thinking I'd found an old cabin site. Didn't go back very far though so may have missed that big fireplace.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, April 9, 2021 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just checked an old journal and in May 2000 noted; "I paddled over to a spot I noticed through binoculars on the east shore. I could see something white that looked like a fridge -- it was. Turned out to be a cabin site that appears to have burnt during winter, judging by the evidence of extreme heat (melted glass and aluminum) and lack of surrounding burnt trees."
 Link to this message

klassen

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 9, 2021 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Very interesting - thanks for sharing! That's almost certainly connected to what I found.

I need to start keeping a trip journal...
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1963

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2021 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

First, to get it out of the way, the fridge site, if we are thinking of the same site, is a former Lakeland Airways outpost location.

The place with the "hearth", again if we are thinking of the same site, is nice, and huge, and hidden. But a bit too far from the water for me.

Eddy-turn is correct that there are no private sites. But there are plenty of sites the camps habitually use. The camps don't believe they are exclusive to them and would not object if they found someone in their favorite spot.

Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2021 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

So is the hearth site farther east than the fridge place?
 Link to this message

klassen

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2021 - 2:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looks like I made an error trying to upload a sat image of its location so I'll just provide some more info.

Its actually relatively close to the exposed site I first mentioned and could probably be accessed by walking east along the shore a couple minutes. The actual "hearth" (probably a misnomer here) is tucked behind a line of trees if memory serves. Its a roughly 4'x 5' fireplace with three sides made of loose rocks.
 Link to this message

brian
Post Number: 1966

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2021 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's a traditional three-sided fireplace that local camps still use.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home