Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Stull Creek < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bushwhacker

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2021 - 2:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am hearing voices in my head telling me to try Stull Creek solo in early May? Am I crazy?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1962

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2021 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Stull Creek at any time is...well. But I presume it will be less crazy in May. Wear a helmet.
 Link to this message

bushwhacker

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2021 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian. I was hoping someone had been down there in the last few years and could offer some insight on what to expect these days. I have plenty of old reports dating back a decade or more but nothing I can find from the last couple of years. I also have Hap's write up from his guide book published back in the 1980's, but I would imagine this may be a bit dated now.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2021 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The first question that comes to mind is... why? Are you going upstream or down?
There's a reason there are FOUR routes between Hamlow and the Sturgeon. None are good. It comes down to picking your poison... and Stull Creek is pretty potent poison!
Personally, I'd take the original nastawgan trail as marked on Craig Macdonald's map.
I also have my doubts as to anybody doing anything in that area this May again. The birds and fish must love covid. No humans!
 Link to this message

bushwhacker

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2021 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for responding doublebend. To try to answer your question, I like to attempt routes that are less travelled with lots of slogging and often no clear portage. I am a glutton for punishment, enjoy the challenge and have a high pain threshold. I would be going downstream. When I made my enquiry it was prior to the new closures, so it seems now I will have to wait until the parks reopen. I've been to that particular area once before in 2016 and portaged the 1650m original nastawgan. I found this portage relatively uneventful. I thought about attempting Stull Creek back then but given the time constraints I had at that time, I did not do it. Since then, something has been drawing me back to Stull Creek and I plan on attempting it when I get the chance. Was hoping someone who had been there in the last few years could offer some insight on the current conditions, especially in May when I had originally planned to do this.
 Link to this message

soreshoulders

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2021 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey bushwhacker, Stull Cr sounds like fun. Unfortunately I don't have any insight for you. The last time I was in there was around 2000 and at that time, one could drive a 4x4 up to Gervais landing, cross the Sturgeon (in low water) and take the logging road up past the old mill site right to the portage between Hamlow and Little Scarecrow and park there. Brian, do you know if this is still possible or has the road become overgrown?
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 185

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2021 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Driving over the Sturgeon is illegal in any water. Please don't do that. Little Scarecrow is easy enough to access by portaging from Gervais.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1965

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2021 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The road is not overgrown, and continues to get use from several cabin owners. I believe it is still legal for them to cross through the river (absurd in a park), but under the wrong conditions that would be dangerous for any vehicle. And as eddy pointed out, it is still illegal.
 Link to this message

bushwhacker

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2021 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks everyone for responding. I was planning to hit Stull Creek from the north, putting it on the Montreal River so wouldn't be driving to Paul Lake. If there is anyone that has recent experience in Stull Creek in the spring please let me know what to expect. Thanks again.
 Link to this message

bob

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2021 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Unfortunately Covid restrictions state that we canít travel outside of our local health district
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2021 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My experience with Stull Creek was in high-water spring (flood) conditions many years ago. Nasty work. Some lift-overs and runnable rapids...a falls with a portage that was part of the falls...waist-deep wading...sketchy lining...a narrow escape from a pinning situation...and one of our party gave himself a black eye while struggling through a screen of overhanging branches. It took us all day to travel from Scarecrow Lake to Paul Lake. Most of that was Stull Creek... If the water was lower there'd be a bunch of logs to drag over near the end too.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2021 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think I remember Hap telling me he didn't recommend that route for spring travel...
 Link to this message

bushwhacker

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2021 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Doublebend. That is good intel. My guess is that it probably hasn't changed much in many years, perhaps just got worse. If I end up getting there this Spring, I will let you know how it goes.
 Link to this message

soreshoulders

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2021 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bushwhacker, I'll be going in to climb Ishpatina this w/e; I'll see if I can get a look at Stull while I'm there. (I'll be carrying to and from Hamlow!)

eddy_turn and Brian; thanks for the heads up about crossing the Sturgeon. I was not aware that crossing the river was illegal. 20+ years ago since I did that, I hope you wont judge me too harshly!
 Link to this message

eddy_turn
Post Number: 188

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2021 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

@soreshoulders - no judgements, have fun! Being stuck south of the border for the second season I'm painfully aware of how lucky you are :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home