Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Pilgrim Creek < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bushwhacker

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2021 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In case anyone is ever interested in this route, I ran the Pilgrim Creek from Maggie Lake to the Pilgrim Triangle.

First, let me say that this is no creek it is a river with lots of fast water and class 1-2 raps, many of which can be run.

The first part of the creek/river from Maggie Lake to the Solace Creek junction is full of logjams and blowdowns (I would estimate at least 20 of which had to be negotiated around). It was a slog getting through but once you hit the Solace Creek Junction the creek opens up.

I had previously done the stretch of the Pilgrim from Maggie Lake to the Solace Creek junction but instead of continuing down the Pilgrim on that previous trip I went upstream on the Solace Creek proper (not the Apollo Lake route). Solace Creek was basically a bushwhack so I wasn't interested in attempting that this time and opted to just do the entire Pilgrim from Maggie to the Sturgeon.

I started the creek at 4pm on Maggie Lake and was at the campsite south of River Lake by 730pm. It seemed no one had been down this route in years as both of the marked campsites long the way (River and Limit Lakes) had established moss growing in the fire pits.

Other than for general topography I found the maps and guides for this creek essentially useless. The guides did not account for at least two chutes and in some instances where the maps said there were runnable raps, in fact were not runnable at all, perhaps due to new sweepers since the guides were written (though I would question whether some of these rapids were ever runnable).

There were no marked or defined portages around the chutes and falls and it required a bit of bush pushing.

Overall, it was the most amazing place I've ever been . Though, not for the faint of heart, I would recommend this route. I will never forget it and hope to be back one day.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1968

Posted on Monday, May 17, 2021 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is it possible those guides were looking at the creek, er river, in the summer?
 Link to this message

bushwhacker
Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2021 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Brian. Yes, its completely possible and I shouldn't have been so blunt with my comments. I have only respect for those that went before and blazed the way for the rest of us to follow. While the maps/guides did not account for some of the chutes/falls, without them it would have been that much more difficult. They were helpful and I should not have referred to them as "useless". I think that in the 20 years since the guides on the creek/river were written it has changed. The sweepers there now were probably not there at the turn of the century and as you pointed out, it may have been that they were written following a summer trip, not in high water.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home