Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Smoothwater Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

canoecanoe2021

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2021 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone,

I was looking for input on the availability of the Smoothwater lake campsites in late August in Lady Evelyn Smoothwater Provincial park. Has anyone experienced not being able to find a site on smoothwater during late August? How busy it might be by an estimate or experience?

I was looking to drop in at Montreal river access point and canoe South to the smoothwater lake.

From the friends of temagami map I am seeing 9 total campsites each holding enough room for at least 3 tents on each site.

From Google satellite view it would appear that all 9 sites have somewhat sandy locations however the two sites on the east side of smooth water seem to be the most sought after.

Does anyone know about the condition of the ground on the surrounding 7 remaining sites on smoothwater lake and if they are sandy like a beach?

Ideally we would be able to get one of the two sought after campsites but I am making a plan B just in case to see what the options would look like.

Thanks in advance!
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 189

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2021 - 2:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My recollection of these sites are pretty vague, but fwiw... Satelite photos doesn't allow to easily distinguish between sandy and rocky shore. And being in Temagami one knows not to expect much in the sand department. Beaches are definitely where ottertooth map shows them.
The large beach adjacent to Marine lake portage is the major attraction (meaning it sees lots of visitors with all that follows). Other than that you might find some sand or gravel on the south-most site on the east shore. Doesn't mean that it's a good site to camp on... Despite it being a part of Lady Evelyn - Smoothwater park, in the summer of 2018 some (if not most) of the Smoothwater sites were lacking thunderboxes.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1969

Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2021 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

All the campsites on the east shore are sand or gravel sites, and the most used. The two west-side sites are rocky.

Since the advent of fees there has been less overnight stays. There may be the odd motor angler but they don't normally overnight.

In a normal summer you would not have to worry about availability. But this summer will not be a normal summer. Still hard to imagine many occupied sites given the fees. As eddy pointed out, they will be at the big beach.

Link to this message

rainbird
Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, July 7, 2021 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone been down to Scarecrow and done the Ishpatina Ridge trail this year? Wondering about state of portages along the way. Thinking about doing this (from the Beauty Lake Rd./Montreal R. put-in) in early August with a group of 6.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home