Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Lorrain Lake to Matabitchuan < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rainbird

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2021 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looking for intel on accessing the Matabitchuan R. from the south end of Lorrain Lake. Jeff's map (can I trust it?) shows a liftover leading to a 435m portage (not shown on Hap Wilson's map of the area). Alternative is to take a 440m port. to the south leading into the northeast Bay of Rabbit Lake and paddling around a peninsula into Outlet Bay and into Matabitchuan at Rabbit Chute.
 Link to this message

edalgorf

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2021 - 8:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did this trip in 2018 and we went around via the 440m portage and Outlet Bay. The was that advice we received from our outfitter.

I would also recommend taking the 90m portage at Rabbit chutes as we were unable to find the end of the 1,000m portage. The portage follows an ATV trail and we could not find the exit back to the lake.
 Link to this message

rainbird

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2021 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK, thanks Ed, that's very helpful because the 435 on Jeff's would seem like an obvious shortcut. I saw your earlier posting on this. I'll check with the Temagami Outfitter guys also-they may have some updates.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1976

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2021 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have done the river many times. From Rabbit Chutes down to Fourbass you should only have two portages. The liftover around Rabbit Chutes on the right and the 270 on the left around some rapids. In the right water the latter could be lined or run.

The 1000 m is just nonsensical.

Link to this message

rainbird
Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2021 - 2:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just back from our tour through this beautiful region. We did not end up going into Lorrain Lake but rather, entered the Matabitchuan River from Rabbit Lk. via Outlet Bay. The first portage around the dam is easy and well marked. The Rabbit Chutes is a short portage to the right (east) off an ATV trail that meets the river at and old cabin (Matabitchuan Lodge). There are two very boney rapids shortly afterward that we had to line (low water levels in mid-late August), then a 270 portage before entering the short "canyon" that leads into Fourbass Lake. For rock hounds, these canyon walls are part of the 2.3 billion year old Gowganda Formation, some of the oldest glacial deposits on Earth. Returning to Temagami we portaged into Cooper Lake then took McDonald Ck. into Glasford and Maxam lakes. For the 750m portage from Cooper into McDonald, just follow the bush road (left at T junction), then once you see water on the right you'll notice short path to a swampy put-in. We did not see the portage marked on the map that crosses the bush road. The rest of the portages back into Rabbit are straight forward - we had to liftover between Maxam and Burwash lakes due to the shallow water.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home