Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Solace - Ministry cutting portages < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2021 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just returned from a 10 day trip through Lady Evelyn Smoothwater and Solace Waterway Park. It was a great family trip (my wife and 2 daughters - 11 and 9 - and 9 month old dog). Good mix of work and relaxation and a little bit of everything (rivers, lakes, portages, upstream, etc).

I was shocked to see 2 park staff (from Finlayson park) cutting portages through Solace. I ran into them between Maggie and Bill. They were out for 8 days and had accessed off the Sturgeon River. We took the river back and we could see their work through those portages as they made their way across. First time I've seen ministry staff cutting portages in that area and was quite surprised. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Oh in case you are wondering, they did ask to see our permit!

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1986

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2021 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Working in this heat means lots of swimming!
 Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2021 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also just back from Selkirk/Solace. The fresh cut trails were WONDERFUL. Only one at the north end of Selkirk was not marked or cut.
Selkirk is lower than your previous map Brian. So that portage is much longer. Most people are trekking through the swamp for a hundred meters as the creek is not navigable. There is an old portage that avoids this wetland..to the north of the wet area. Has not been cleared recently (the only one not cleared by that crew, but then, they might not have known where it is). It would not take a lot of work to get it open. Just a few cuts and a portage sign!
 Link to this message

red_pine
Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2021 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

One correction on the southern route between Selkirk and Solace. The 345 portage actually starts north of that small peninsula. And comes out perhaps a tad north of where it shows on your map. Not a problem for those travelling east to west....but a minor problem for those of us going east.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home