Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Donald Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2021 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The original trail at the outlet of Donald, on the south side (as marked on the Craig MacDonald Map) is open again. It is shorter and has better landing on the creek side regardless of water level. Could use some brushing...

Currently, people lift over a log and wade the creek to the boulders along the north side, then walk a long way over the flat rocks in low water (mid to late summer every year). Some drag down the creek, as evidenced by the copious paint on the rocks. Some people this year have bushwhacked on that North side to avoid the boulder walk. Not a nice trail.

Donald is very busy all the time now. The locals have done a great job of keeping the campsites clean and T-boxes functioning.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 194

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2021 - 5:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

red_pine, do you mean the first portage on the Donald creek route? I can't see much details on MacDonald's map in this area, but it looks like it shows portage on the right (south) side of the slides. We always used (including this August) an existing portage, which is as short as it gets, probably under 40-50m, following waterslides from Donald on the north side, then it was possible to paddle all the way to the second portage into Potvin lake. Is it blocked or too low now?
 Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, September 3, 2021 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We also used the creekside walk for the past 40 years... but last summer discoverd the old trail as marked on the McDonald Map. It is shorter, and that it is not dependant on waterlevels in the creek below the waterfall.

Paddling to the next portage is still OK...but in very low water levels you may need to step out to get through a short area of rocky water in the narrow part of the creek.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn
Post Number: 195

Posted on Friday, September 3, 2021 - 4:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Interesting! I'm quite happy with an existing portage following the north side of the slides, but it's good to know that a historic nastawgan could be used as well - next time in the area we'll take a look at it.
The reason I misinterpreted your first post was that I couldn't imagine people dragging boats down the slides or lifting over the log at its entrance.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home