Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Getting around in the winter < Previous Next >

Link to this message

hector

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 4, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

how do you get into Diamond in the winter I would like to do the Bob Spiford loop but I don't know how to get around the narrows at sharp rock. is there a portage at the south end the comes out of the North arm?
and what about the snowmobile trail into temagami from Obabika where does it start and end.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, January 5, 2005 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The snowmobile trail from Obabika Inlet to Obabika Lake does not start at the end of the Inlet where the canoe lift over is. It starts before, somewhere across from the old docks and travels over land following some trail and passes Allen and Upper Bass Lakes to Obabika Lake. The snowmobile trail that used to connect the A102D is no longer used so this route is only travelled by locals and can be quite rough.
It puts you in on Lower Obabika Lake just short of the Narrows. The lake does not freeze over very thick here if at all. Follow the snowmobile tracks over the land on the west side of the lake at Goulard's Cottage.

Link to this message

boneli

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, January 5, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Alscool, where is your new avatar?
 Link to this message

hector

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

alscool
do you have any more info on winter travel and where did can i get a route map for the area
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 58

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might get some winter route ideas from the Nastawgan map, posted on this site:

http://69.36.176.114/Temagami/Maps/nastawgan/nasta w-index.htm

From what I have experienced, there is a lot of snow up in Temagami and the lakes develop a lot of top water and slush in the early winter months.
This can hamper lake crossing travel. In late February and March the snow firms up and travel is much easier.
 Link to this message

ojig

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hector. Another way into Diamond is to take the old logging road from Eye Lake to Bob Lake and then into Diamond. Camp Ket-chun-eny used this trail when Temagami had alot of slush. You can also get around Sharp Rock. Diamond is fished pretty good in winter, so there will be a good trial you can follow to get around Sharp Rock. If you are planning your trip soon there is not too much snow. (won't hamper progress)It is perfect for traveling in the bush and on the lakes. I would have to guess there is probably more ice on the lakes than snow in the bush. A foot of snow at best and 16-18" of ice. You would be able to make good time if you are snowshoeing. A nice day for camping today. Cold and dry.
 Link to this message

dendrast

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Like ojig said : the travel right now is about as good as it gets. NB> There is a pressure ridge running E>W, south of Seal Rock, and another in Granny Bay that I am aware of. Approch with caution.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home