Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Red Squirrel Road - Parking < Previous Next >

Link to this message

nondy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 5, 2005 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thinking of doing Route #13 - Anima Nipissing, Montreal River Loop. A little more informed than my first post here on Ottertooth regarding the Lower Montreal River a few weeks back. Now I'm armed with a couple more maps and Hap's book.

On the maps it shows a parking area at the north end of Ferguson Bay. Obviously parking for Camp Wanapitei, but from what I observe and read it can be used by anyone not just the camp. Is this correct? It does say "limited parking".

Here's my plan. Leave a parked car with restocking provisions at the parking lot. We will arrive at Ferguson Bay on Day 3 of the trip. We can then restock and spend a couple R&R nights on the bay and probably another couple nights on Lady Evelyn. This way we don't have to carry all the food and liquid refreshments the first three days which would include the 2800m portage from the Montreal River to Anima Nipissing Lake.

Sound reasonable? Is it do-able? Can I park a car at this access point for 8-10 days? Or should I plan on the access point on Red Squirrel Lake instead?

First time to Temagami!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 142

Posted on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nondy;
You need to search around the website for posts on the Sandy Inlet ( Ferguson Bay) access road.The ottertooth map for this is at:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm

There were some forum posts describing the road condition last year.
In late September, the road was dry and I was in there with my van, which had no problems negotiating the huge potholes.If it had been wet and the holes had been full of water I would have gotten stuck in one of them.I would consider what the weather has been like as far as rain is concerned, before taking a car in there.

If there has been a lot of rain a few weeks or so before your intended trip you may wish to consider leaving your vehicle at Red Squirrel lake and entering there.

Link to this message

nondy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ED. I hadn't seen that map yet. But doing a search hasn't given me the answer to my question which is, am I allowed to leave a parked car at the parking lot leading to Sandy Inlet (Camp Wanapitei) for an extended period of time? I'm not worried about road conditions at this time.

nondy
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 144

Posted on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, you can leave your car there for several days, it is Crown Land. Wanapitei property starts about 1 km to the South East of the south parking area.
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We went in to that parking lot last August and I found the Red Squirrel road to be in horrible shape - total washboard surface for 30km. It was passable however.
 Link to this message

nondy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ED. That's good news. Now I just have to hope the road isn't impassable when we plan our trip. Heavy rains would be the main culpret I suppose.

I'm sure I'll be back soon with some more questions about the route.

nondy

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home